Lifting an object to put it into a container

In summary, the conversation revolves around a mechanism to lift and tilt a heavy cylinder in order to pour its contents into another box. The suggested solution involves using a U-shaped frame with hydraulics and a gear motor. Questions are raised about the feasibility of this solution, including the need for a funnel, the stability of the base, and the method of moving the cylinder. A suggestion is made to use a cement mixer as a reference for the design, and the need for a stable base is emphasized. The conversation also mentions the use of a drafting program to help visualize the design.
Missurunha
I'm trying something similar, it's a mechanism to lift/tilt a cylinder, in order to drop whatever is inside the cylinder into another box. (the substance cannot be pumped)
The cylinder is about 250kg heavy, and I'd have to lift it around 1,5m, then tilt it.

I'm afraid I can't lift it with chains, cause it may swing and leak part of my substance. (actually I can, but I'd like to hear some other suggestion)
A quick drawing:
1wXS0eX.png

For the tilting I would use a chain at the bottom, after the cylinder is lifted, the bottom would be pulled by this chain and tilt the cylinder.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that a U shaped frame under the your bucket that is pushed up on both sides by hydraulics with a gear motor on one side to do the pouring after lifting would work well.

Questions to think on;
1. can you get close enough to the receiving box without some kind of funnel or spout?
2. Is the base going to be big enough to prevent tipping during the pouring process?
3. How are you going to move it around without overhead crane service?
4. If you are moving it with an overhead crane why not just do the pouring that way?

FYI it is not polite to hijack someone's thread. You should start your own.

rbees said:
I would think that a U shaped frame under the your bucket that is pushed up on both sides by hydraulics with a gear motor on one side to do the pouring after lifting would work well.

Questions to think on;
1. can you get close enough to the receiving box without some kind of funnel or spout?
2. Is the base going to be big enough to prevent tipping during the pouring process?
3. How are you going to move it around without overhead crane service?
4. If you are moving it with an overhead crane why not just do the pouring that way?

FYI it is not polite to hijack someone's thread. You should start your own.

I apologize for hijacking the other topic, I didn't know it was wrong.

Thank you for the answer!

There's a funnel around the hole on the receiving box!

I'll use a manual forklift to move the cylinder, but it won't lift the cylinder more than 30cm.
My current idea is to use a 'fixed' crane to lift it. I'm afraid moving it with a crane would cause unwanted oscillations. To solve the oscillations I'd have to make some kind of built-in rail on the ceiling..

What did you mean by #2?

I had this U frame idea before, but it was hard to imagine how I would I attach it to my structure. I'll try to think over it.

Best regards

(sorry about my bad English, I hope you can understand me)

Are you acquainted with a small portable cement mixer? The drum/barrel is on a frame and it is designed to have the contents of the drum poured out into something. So let's through away the existing frame and build a new U shaped one that has cylinders or screw jacks of some design, one on each side and suitable to lift the load. Since the cement mixer is already designed to be poured out, let's remove the handle and mount a worm drive gear box with step down sprockets in its place to pour the contents out.

#2 Now on your unit let's say that your pivot point is not in the center of the drum but offset to the bottom or top by say a 1/3, which you may want to do to increase your reach or to make the material discharge more controllable. Now when you begin the pour and the material shifts in the drum suddenly the base needs to be big enough, and or heavy enough to absorb that energy and not allow the whole unit to tip over.

FYI Librecad is a pretty good drafting program. There are some pretty good youtube videos that will help you learn how to use it. It might help you visualize what it is you have in mind.

1. How much force is needed to lift an object?

The amount of force needed to lift an object depends on its weight and the strength of the person lifting it. Heavier objects will require more force to lift, and individuals with greater strength will be able to lift heavier objects with less effort.

2. How does the weight of an object affect the lifting process?

The weight of an object directly affects the amount of force required to lift it. Objects with greater weight will require more force to lift, and objects with less weight will require less force to lift.

3. Does the shape of an object impact its liftability?

Yes, the shape of an object can impact its liftability. Objects with awkward or uneven shapes may be more difficult to lift compared to objects with smooth, uniform shapes.

4. How can leverage be used to make lifting easier?

Leverage can be used to make lifting easier by using a lever or fulcrum to distribute the weight of the object over a larger area. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when lifting an object?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when lifting an object. These include using proper lifting techniques, avoiding twisting or jerking motions, and not lifting objects that are too heavy for your strength level. It is also important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, when handling heavy or sharp objects.