Finding a third method to determine light wavelength

In summary: We prefer to have a separate set of measurements, like the angle to the 8th maximum or the distance between the first and fifth minimum. The angle is better, since that is what the equation uses.
chef99

Homework Statement

a) explain why a pattern of bright and dark fringes is visible on a screen when a light is shone through a double slit.
b) Use this data to determine the wavelength of light being used to create the interference pattern. Do this three different ways.
-The angle to the eighth maximum is 1.12º
-The distance from the first minimum to the fifth minimum is 2.95 cm
-The distance between the slits is 0.00025cm

Homework Equations

mλ =dsinθm
Δx = Lλ / d

The Attempt at a Solution

First method
[/B]
mλ =dsinθm

λ = dsinθ8 / m

λ = (2.5x10-4m)(sin1.12deg) / 8

λ = 6.108 x10-7m

λ = 611nm

Second method

Δx = Lλ / d

λ = dΔx / L

λ = (2.5 x10-4m)(7.375 x10-3) / (3.02)

λ = 6.105 x10-7m

λ = 611nm

I am confident these two are correct, as they both give a very similar result. The slight differences are likely due to rounding/ calculating errors within an acceptable range.
My issue is I can't figure out the third method to use, the equation I believe must be used is (n-1/2) λ = dxn / L (or for the maximum mλ = dxm / L) however I can't figure out how to determine the value for xn / xm with the data that is given in the question. The only other equations that were taught in this lesson were
| PnS1 - PnS2 | = mλ and the version for using minimum values.
This equation is obviouly not usable since the values of PnS1 and PnS2 are not given/determinable with the given data.
Any suggestions on how to determine the value of xn / xm, or if I even have the right idea are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did L come from?

You just have two measurements given, that leads to only two completely independent estimates. Everything else will be somewhat similar to one of the others. You can use the distance value and convert it to an angle, or calculate the separation of the main maximum and first minimum based on it, or something silly like that.

mfb said:
Where did L come from?

You just have two measurements given, that leads to only two completely independent estimates. Everything else will be somewhat similar to one of the others. You can use the distance value and convert it to an angle, or calculate the separation of the main maximum and first minimum based on it, or something silly like that.

Sorry I forgot to add that the value of L was given:

- The distance from the slits to the screen is 302 cm

mfb said:
Where did L come from?

With L = 302cm, I have come up with this possible solution. I'm not sure if this is right at all but it gave me the same answer as the other two (611nm).

using (n-1/2) λ = dxn / L,

Given: Required: λ

L = 302cm
d = 0.00025m = 2.5 x10-4m
4Δx = 2.95cm; therefore Δx = 2.95cm / 4
Δx = 0.7375cm = 0.007375m
n = 1

(n-1/2) λ = dxn / L

λ = dxn / L (n - 1/2)

λ = (2.5 x10-4m)(0.007375m) / (3.20m)(1)

λ = 6.105 x10-7m

λ = 611nmThis answer gives 611nm, same as the other two methods, the part I don't know if I did correctly was using n = 1 in the equation.

That works, but I'm not so sure about the "independent". The distance between the central maximum and the first maximum is 1/4 the separation between first and fifth minimum. You just shifted the place where you divide by 4.

1. How is light wavelength currently determined?

Light wavelength is currently determined using one of two methods: diffraction gratings or interference filters. A diffraction grating is a finely ruled surface that separates light into its component wavelengths, while an interference filter uses the principle of interference to selectively transmit certain wavelengths of light.

2. Why is there a need for a third method to determine light wavelength?

While the current methods of diffraction gratings and interference filters are effective, they both have limitations. Diffraction gratings are limited in the range of wavelengths they can measure, while interference filters are limited by their spectral resolution. Therefore, a third method could potentially overcome these limitations and provide more accurate and precise measurements.

3. What are some potential advantages of a third method for determining light wavelength?

A third method for determining light wavelength could potentially offer advantages such as a wider range of measurable wavelengths, higher spectral resolution, and the ability to measure multiple wavelengths simultaneously. This could lead to more accurate and comprehensive analyses of light sources.

4. How would a third method for determining light wavelength be developed?

The development of a third method for determining light wavelength would involve extensive research and experimentation. Scientists may explore various techniques, such as using advanced materials or technologies, to come up with a new method that is both accurate and practical for use in different settings.

5. What impact could a third method for determining light wavelength have on scientific research?

A new method for determining light wavelength could have a significant impact on scientific research, particularly in fields such as astronomy, physics, and chemistry. It could open up new possibilities for studying and understanding light, which plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena and processes. Additionally, it could lead to advancements in technologies that rely on precise measurements of light wavelength, such as spectroscopy and telecommunications.