1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lighting and Sound Careers and Jobs?

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    I have always been interested in light and sound design (mostly at concerts) and was wondering how could i get into a job or something that will help me get involved into that field ?
    i dont really want to go through my schools theature program just because i dont like it but yeah help me

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you in high school now? If so, you should check out the drama department. I know someone who does light and sound for concerts, and he got his start working behind the scenes in his high school theater.

If you aren't in high school, check out your local community theater, and see if they need volunteers.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply!I am not in high school,but in college.:tongue2:

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The guy I know who does this for a living used to have a plan to go to college to study it. But once he was working in the field, he found that his coworkers who had degrees were not much better off than those who learned on the job.

It's physical work, so being fit helps. And it's really helpful to know basic electrical wiring. If you're serious about getting into the field, that would be a nice skill to have.

Oh, and you simply cannot miss work or be late - it's a firing offense in that field!

Not sure if his experience is typical, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook