Light's properties (Why isn't the sky violet?)

In summary, violet is not a dominant color because it is not a spectral color, it is a mix of red and blue. Our eyes are more sensitive to blue, which occupies a unique position in the spectrum.
Salles
Why isn't the sky violet? Since violet has a shorter wavelength even than blue, why doesn't it dominate then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Our sun doesn't toss out much violet (also, I think oxygen absorbs some)

Likes hutchphd, vanhees71 and russ_watters
Also, our eyes are more sensitive to blue.

Likes hutchphd, vanhees71 and russ_watters
It's a combination of several things. In addition to what has been said above, plenty of light of longer wavelengths is scattered. Blue happens to occupy a unique position in the spectrum where it is both emitted in very large amounts, is scattered very well, and has a decent response from our cone cells.

Besides. The sky is not blue. At least not spectral blue. It ranges in hues and saturation depending on the time of day and air quality. The only way for it to range in hue and saturation is for there to be appreciable amounts of other colors scattered as well as blue.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Ibix, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
Salles said:
Why isn't the sky violet? Since violet has a shorter wavelength even than blue, why doesn't it dominate then?
Part of the reason is that violet is not a spectral hue. Wavelengths shorter-than-blue (ultraviolet spectra) are indeed scattered more than blue, but your photoreceptors don't respond to UV. "snow blindness" occurs from the large amount of UV light scattered from ice/snow.

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, vanhees71 and PeroK
Andy Resnick said:
Part of the reason is that violet is not a spectral hue.
What do you mean? Violet is 'spectral' as much as blue is if I'm not mistaken.

Likes vanhees71
I don't want to put words in Andy's mouth, but we are moving away from physics and into perception. A fine subject, studies by physicists like Helmholtz abd Young, bit more phisiology than physics.

Color is perceived (over simplifying) as the relative insities of three difference rexeptors at three different wavelengths: kind of yellow-orange, kind of blue-green and kind of blue-violet. Just as it is not possible to have a green blackbody, it may not be possible to have a violet sky.

Likes russ_watters and vanhees71
Drakkith said:
We don't see violet very well. But if you are not careful, I will start into a discussion of "indigo" as a color and whether our perception in this region is because of the odd color response as indicated in the CIE standard curves. I find it interesting (consider this a threat !)

hutchphd said:
We don't see violet very well. But if you are not careful, I will start into a discussion of "indigo" as a color and whether our perception in this region is because of the odd color response as indicated in the CIE standard curves. I find it interesting (consider this a threat !)
Hold your fire! I just want to know what Andy means by 'spectral hue'!

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, Ibix and hutchphd
Drakkith said:

I mean that no points on the violet-purple line on the CIE chromaticity diagram correspond to electromagnetic frequencies. Alternatively, the electromagnetic spectrum does not contain purples/violets (or pinks and browns, for that matter...)

But it is listed in the official acronymic name "Roy G.Biv".
So it must be a color, 'cause that is the officially recognized acronym.

Arguing colors is llike nailing Jello

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Andy Resnick said:
Alternatively, the electromagnetic spectrum does not contain purples/violets

rainbow.jpg

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/rainbow.html

:smile:

hutchphd said:
But it is listed in the official acronymic name "Roy G.Biv".
So it must be a color, 'cause that is the officially recognized acronym.
I'm assuming this is a joke?

No, it's a rainbow. :smile:

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn and SammyS
Andy Resnick said:
I mean that no points on the violet-purple line on the CIE chromaticity diagram correspond to electromagnetic frequencies. Alternatively, the electromagnetic spectrum does not contain purples/violets (or pinks and browns, for that matter...)
Violet is absolutely a spectral color, meaning that it can be generated with a small, continuous section of the EM spectrum. Wavelengths from about 380 - 435 nm are generally considered to be in the violet range of the spectrum.

Purple, on the other hand, is not a spectral color. It is a mix of red and blue.

Likes malawi_glenn and cjl
Andy Resnick said:
I'm assuming this is a joke?
I would prefer to call it hyperbole.
We had a previous thread about why are there seven colors.....

Likes russ_watters
Andy Resnick said:
Violet is absolutely a spectral hue. I have a 405nm laser pointer, and it is absolutely, 100% violet (and anyone looking at it would describe it that way, though it's also kinda wild to see because you don't see pure light in that frequency range that often - most monitors and displays are completely incapable of replicating it). Purple and magenta is non-spectral, as it requires a mixing of blue/violet and red, but violet is recognizable and producible by a single light frequency in the low-400nm range.

Likes Drakkith
cjl said:
Violet is absolutely a spectral hue. I have a 405nm laser pointer, and it is absolutely, 100% violet (and anyone looking at it would describe it that way, though it's also kinda wild to see because you don't see pure light in that frequency range that often - most monitors and displays are completely incapable of replicating it). Purple and magenta is non-spectral, as it requires a mixing of blue/violet and red, but violet is recognizable and producible by a single light frequency in the low-400nm range.

I wouldn't- that wavelength simply appears as an intense blue to me. This diagram is pretty clear- violet does not correspond to an electromagnetic frequency.

https://www.ledtronics.com/html/1931ChromaticityDiagram.htm

There's often a lot of noisy "discussion" about color due to lack of attention to how photoreceptors and brain work. In my experience, the noisiest people are those that never considered color blindness.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
Drakkith said:
Violet is absolutely a spectral color, meaning that it can be generated with a small, continuous section of the EM spectrum. Wavelengths from about 380 - 435 nm are generally considered to be in the violet range of the spectrum.

Purple, on the other hand, is not a spectral color. It is a mix of red and blue.
If the hue is generated by a continuous section of the EM spectrum, it's not a pure spectral color- by definition.

Andy Resnick said:
I wouldn't- that wavelength simply appears as an intense blue to me. This diagram is pretty clear- violet does not correspond to an electromagnetic frequency.

https://www.ledtronics.com/html/1931ChromaticityDiagram.htm

There's often a lot of noisy "discussion" about color due to lack of attention to how photoreceptors and brain work. In my experience, the noisiest people are those that never considered color blindness.
Then you would disagree with everyone I've shown it to.

Also, that diagram to me pretty clearly shows violet extending out to the bottom left corner, which is a pure spectral hue at ~400nm. Blue only extends down to ~440nm or so, before that diagram starts labeling it as "purplish blue" then "violet" (you can clearly see this since they show the boundary between blue and purplish blue with a convenient solid line).

There's a reason we call shorter wavelength light "ultraviolet" and not "ultrablue".

cjl said:
Then you would disagree with everyone I've shown it to.
That's fine- I am color-blind, after all. How about this- given the sensitivity curves of human cone cells, explain how red hues are is perceived when the retina is excited by 405 nm light:

https://askabiologist.asu.edu/sites/default/files/cones_graph.gif

cjl said:
There's a reason we call shorter wavelength light "ultraviolet" and not "ultrablue".
Yeah, yeah.... whatever. Bees see 'ultrayellow'.

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/the-doors-of-animal-perception

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters and Motore
Andy Resnick said:
I don't see anything on that chart that says that violet does not correspond to an EM frequency.

Andy Resnick said:
If the hue is generated by a continuous section of the EM spectrum, it's not a pure spectral color- by definition.
Forgive me, I was being too precise. There are no single-wavelength light emitters in real life, not even lasers, so I was trying to be as accurate as possible. I should have simply said 'single wavelength'.

Anyways, like I said before, and which is so well supported that I won't bother to make a list of references, violet is absolutely a spectral color. If you think otherwise please provide a reference supporting your position.

Likes Motore
Andy Resnick said:
That's fine- I am color-blind, after all. How about this- given the sensitivity curves of human cone cells, explain how red hues are is perceived when the retina is excited by 405 nm light:

https://askabiologist.asu.edu/sites/default/files/cones_graph.gif
The graph is probably wrong, that's why.
In fact, the number of different graphs on the response of cone cells is high enough that I don't know which ones to believe. Here's a few I quickly found from google images, all different:
human_cone_action_spectra.gif

1200px-Cone-fundamentals-with-srgb-spectrum.svg.png

eyespect.jpg

As you can see, all three of my graphs are different and all three are different from yours as well. However, almost all of them show that the red photoreceptor still responds, at least a little bit, to light all the way down to around 400nm, and at least one graph (the last one in my post) shows a small 'bump' from 380-430nm where the red photoreceptor apparently regains some sensitivity after dropping to near-zero.

Andy Resnick said:
This diagram is pretty clear- violet does not correspond to an electromagnetic frequency.
The reason this is tricky stems IMHO from the fact that the "red" CIE response curve has two humps. One of them is in the violet . I believe this drives the other CIE color map
OOPS I see @Drakkith has beaten me to the punch here

Andy Resnick said:

Sorry, but why does my rainbow picture not show clearly the ROYGBIV colors? Or is there some other definition of color?

Wikipedia:
Violet is at one end of the spectrum of visible light, between blue light, which has a longer wavelength, and ultraviolet light, which has a shorter wavelength and is not visible to humans. Violet encompasses light with a wavelength of approximately 380 to 435 nanometers. Violet objects often appear dark, because human vision is relatively insensitive to those wavelengths.[citation needed] The reason that to (typical trichromat) humans violet light appears a bit reddish compared to spectral blue (despite spectral red being at the other end of the visible spectrum) is because the S-cone type (i.e. the one most sensitive to short wavelengths) contributes a bit of red to the red-versus-green opponent channel (which at the longer blue wavelengths gets counteracted by the M-cone type).[19] Computer and television screens, using the RGB color model, cannot produce actual violet light and instead mimic it with a shade of purple, combining blue light at high intensity with red light at less intensity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_(color)#Optics

Drakkith said:
The graph is probably wrong, that's why.
In fact, the number of different graphs on the response of cone cells is high enough that I don't know which ones to believe. Here's a few I quickly found from google images, all different:
Huh- I'll be a monkey's uncle, you are right! I found this reference, very careful measurements:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042698900000213?via=ihub

(see especially Figs 4-6 and 9)

Clearly showing the L-cone has sensitivity all the way down to 400nm. Violet is indeed a real color!

I always wondered why my (elementary school) art teacher used 2 different words for the same color...

Likes Drakkith, Vanadium 50, SammyS and 1 other person

1. Why does the sky appear blue during the day?

The sky appears blue during the day because of a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering. This is when sunlight enters Earth's atmosphere and interacts with the molecules in the air, causing shorter blue wavelengths of light to scatter more than longer red wavelengths. This scattered blue light is what we see when we look up at the sky.

2. Why isn't the sky violet instead of blue?

Violet light has even shorter wavelengths than blue light, so it is scattered even more by the molecules in the atmosphere. However, our eyes are more sensitive to blue light, so we perceive the scattered blue light as the dominant color in the sky.

3. Why does the sky sometimes appear orange or red during sunrise and sunset?

During sunrise and sunset, the sun's light has to travel through more of Earth's atmosphere before reaching our eyes. This causes more of the blue light to be scattered, leaving behind more of the longer red and orange wavelengths. This is why the sky appears to be a warm orange or red color during these times.

4. Can the color of the sky change depending on where you are on Earth?

Yes, the color of the sky can vary depending on where you are on Earth. This is because the composition of the atmosphere can differ in different locations, as well as the angle at which sunlight enters the atmosphere. For example, the sky may appear more purple in areas with high levels of pollution or in locations closer to the equator.

5. How does light affect our perception of the sky's color?

Light plays a crucial role in our perception of the sky's color. As mentioned before, the molecules in Earth's atmosphere interact with sunlight, causing certain wavelengths of light to be scattered and others to pass through. Our eyes then detect these wavelengths and send signals to our brain, which interprets the color of the sky based on the wavelengths of light that are present.