1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) where x->pi/4

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    lim (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) where x-->pi/4

Hi! Could someone help me to solve this problem without using L'Hospital rule? Any hint would be splendid...

lim (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x)
    x-->pi/4

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: lim (sinx-cosx)/(pi-4x) where x-->pi/4

L'Hopital's rule?

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3

Sorry, but without L'Hospital. I forgot to mention...With L'Hospital is easy to solve and it gives
    =-sqrt(2)/4

5. Jan 6, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Try rewriting sin(x)-cos(x) in the form Rsin(x-A)

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5

You could multiply by (cosx + sinx)/(cosx + sinx) and use the identity cos2x -sin2x = cos2x. Then let u = 2x, use the identity sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - x) = cosx, rewrite it some more, and use the common trig limit sinx/x. Don't forget to change the limits with each substitution.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6

Wow! Thank you for this great tip! I tried a similar method but I had problems to find a good substitution. u=2x really works and the problem is solved!!! Thanks again!

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7

Now I have two solutions for my limit problem. I figured out how to transform sin(x)-cos(x) into Rsin(x-A) form:

R=Sqrt(2)
    A=pi/4

sinx-cosx=Sqrt(2)*sin(x-pi/4)

Thank you for your help!

9. Jan 9, 2010 #8

L'Hopital's rule is simple. It says that if the limit of a quotient takes on an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 then the limit is equivalent to the derivative of the numerator divided by the derivative of the denominator.

sinx-cosx / pi -4x

set the same limit to

cosx+sinx / -4

10. Jan 9, 2010 #9

Alternatively, you could expand [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] in a Taylor's Series about [itex]x = \pi/4[/itex]. The numerator subtraction will eliminate even power terms and the denomiator will cancel one power of [itex](x-\pi/4)[/itex] term. The result will have a leading constant term which is your limit as [itex]x\rightarrow \pi/4[/itex].

11. Jan 9, 2010 #10

Hmm, I'm not familiar with expanding in a Taylor's Series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook