Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit definition and infinitely often

1. Dec 1, 2012 #1
    Limit definition and "infinitely often"

If we have a sequence of real numbers [itex]x_{n}[/itex] converging to [itex]x[/itex], that means [itex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N [/itex] such that [itex] |x_n - x| < \epsilon, \forall n \geq N.[/itex]

So, can we say [itex] P (|x_n - x| < \epsilon \ i.o.) = 1[/itex] because for [itex]n \geq N[/itex], [itex] |x_n - x| < \epsilon [/itex] always holds?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Re: Limit definition and "infinitely often"

Is that notation suppose to denote a probability? It doesn't define a probability until you establish a scenario that specifies at least one random variable and its probability distribution. Are you thinking of "picking an x_i at random"? Or did you mean the [itex] x_i [/itex] to be a sequence of real valued random variables instead of a sequence of real numbers? (If the [itex] x_i [/itex] are random variables, you have to use a different definition of limit than the one you gave.)

4. Dec 1, 2012 #3
    Re: Limit definition and "infinitely often"

Yes, the notation [itex] P(\cdot) [/itex] was supposed to denote a probability, and I want the [itex] x_i [/itex] to be a sequence of real numbers, not random variables. But I understand what you're saying. I cannot talk about probabilities without having a random variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook