1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of 1/x, as x approaches inf, question.

1. Dec 23, 2008 #1
    Multiplication Question

If we know that [tex]\frac{a}{x}[/tex] = c, we than say a=x*c

We also know that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{a}{x}[/tex] = 0

But what if we said: [tex]\frac{a}{x}[/tex] = c, then [tex]\frac{a*x}{x}[/tex] = x*c

So, if we take a limit: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{a*x}{x}[/tex] = a

And also take a limit of: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}[/tex] x*c = [tex]\infty[/tex]

We get a problem.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Could you make your question a bit more specific?

4. Dec 23, 2008 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Is the question supposed to be: lim (x -> infinity) 1/x?

5. Dec 23, 2008 #4
    Sorry, accidently hit the Post button without being finished.

6. Dec 23, 2008 #5

jgens

Gold Member

I think that the resolution of the conflict arises in the fact that lim (x -> infinity) cx = infinity when c is not equal to zero. I think in this particular case lim (x -> infinity) cx is an indeterminate form in the form of 0*infinity. I could be entirely wrong though.

7. Dec 23, 2008 #6
    The problem seems to be that c depends on x. Remember, c = x / a, so
    [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} cx = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{x}{a} x = \lim_{x \to \infty} a = a.[/tex]

8. Dec 23, 2008 #7
    Could you please explain this a bit further?

9. Dec 23, 2008 #8
    Whoops, I made a typo. It should be c = a / x and

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} cx = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{a}{x} x = \lim_{x \to \infty} a = a.[/tex]

10. Dec 23, 2008 #9
    Actually what I think you meant was, [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{a}{x} x[/tex]

11. Dec 23, 2008 #10
    adriank I understand what you did, but the question I have is that both sides are not valid. I wasn't looking for a substatution of c being a/x.

12. Dec 23, 2008 #11
    I'm using what you used for c in your original post. The point is, in your post, c is not a constant.

13. Dec 23, 2008 #12
    That's what I was missing. Thanks adriank.

14. Dec 23, 2008 #13
    This leads me to another question, somewhat relevant to the original post.

If [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} x (\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x})[/tex] = a

Does this sort of mean that [tex]\infty[/tex]*0 = a ?

a is any real number except 0

15. Dec 23, 2008 #14
    i would say that [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} x (\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x})[/tex] is an intermediate form, that is [tex]\infty*0[/tex] so as it is right now, we cannot evaluate the limit, but if we transform it into

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} x (\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x})=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}x\frac{a}{x}=a[/tex]

Remember that infinity is not a number, so the laws that hold for real numbers, not necessarly will hold when infinity is in play.

16. Dec 23, 2008 #15
    Well basically my argument was the if we take the seperate parts of the two being:

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} x = \infty [/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x} = 0 [/tex]

multiply them together and get

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x}x = a [/tex]

17. Dec 23, 2008 #16
    Your equation is ambiguous; there are two possible interpretations. First, and I'm guessing this is what you meant:
    [tex]\left(\lim_{x \to \infty} x\right) \left(\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x}\right) = a.[/tex]
    The first limit doesn't exist, so that doesn't work. (Infinite limits are said to not exist; infinity is not a number. You can't multiply by it.)

Remember that in general,
    [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) g(x) = \left( \lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) \right) \left( \lim_{x \to \infty} g(x) \right)[/tex]
    is true only if each of the limits exists.

Second:
    [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \left(x \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x}\right) = a.[/tex]
    That just doesn't make sense. It isn't meaningful. You can't use the same variable in a limit that's inside another limit; it's just wrong to write that.

Perhaps you meant this:
    [tex]\lim_{y \to \infty} \left(y \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x}\right).[/tex]
    In that case, evaluate the limits one at a time:
    [tex]\lim_{y \to \infty} \left(y \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{a}{x}\right)
    = \lim_{y \to \infty} \left(y \cdot 0\right)
    = \lim_{y \to \infty} 0 = 0.[/tex]

18. Dec 24, 2008 #17
    Your right. I should have noticed that. I guess I was lazy to check that idea in the first place.

Thanks again, adriank.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?