Limit of the product of these two functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
LagrangeEuler
Messages
711
Reaction score
22
If we have two functions ##f(x)## such that ##\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x)=0## and ##g(x)=\sin x## for which ##\lim_{x \to \infty}g(x)## does not exist. Can you send me the Theorem and book where it is clearly written that
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x)g(x)=0[/tex]
I found that only for sequences, but it should be correct for functions also.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
If we have two functions ##f(x)## such that ##\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x)=0## and ##g(x)=\sin x## for which ##\lim_{x \to \infty}g(x)## does not exist. Can you send me the Theorem and book where it is clearly written that
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x)g(x)=0[/tex]
I found that only for sequences, but it should be correct for functions also.
If ##g## is any bounded function then there is a straightforward epsilon-delta proof.
 
I don't know of a specific place that states this exact problem, but this is an application of the Squeeze theorem which can be found in any calculus textbook.