Limit of (2-x)^(tan(πx/2)) as x approaches 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Messages
864
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the limit:
[tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (2-x)^{tan \frac{\pi x}{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I first tried to find the limit of ln of the function inorder to turn the power into a multiplication and got:
[tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{ ln(2-x) sin \frac{\pi x}{2}}{cos \frac{\pi x}{2}}[/tex]
Then I used l'hospital's rule and got:
[tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 1} ln( (2-x)^{tan \frac{\pi x}{2}} ) = \pi / 2[/tex]
That means that [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (2-x)^{tan \frac{\pi x}{2}} = e^{\pi / 2}[/tex]
Is that right? I tried putting in values to my calc and it looks like the answer should be 1?
What did I do wrong?
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your l'Hopital's rule again. I get 2/pi, not pi/2.
 
I also get [itex]2/\pi[/itex], and when I put in x=0.9999 on my calculator, the limit and [itex]e^{2/\pi}[/itex] agree to reasonable accuracy, around 1.89, not 1.