Limit of (tan(x))^(tan(2x)) as x approaches pi/4

  • Thread starter Thread starter Same-same
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 16K views
Same-same
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[itex]\frac{Lim}{x-> \pi/4}[/itex] tan(x)[itex]^{tan(2x)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Lim}{x-> \pi/4}tan(2x)[/itex] does not exist.
However, Wolfram Alpha and my TI-89 say that [itex]\frac{Lim}{x-> \pi/4}[/itex] tan(x)[itex]^{tan(2x)}[/itex]does exist, and that it's [itex]\frac{1}{e}[/itex]
I submitted this answer (it's web based homework and calculators are allowed) and found it was correct. I still don't understand how though.

Homework Equations


tan(2x) = [itex]\frac{2tan(x)}{1-tan^{2}(x)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I attempted to split it in to
[itex]\frac{sin(x)^{tan(2x)}}{cos(x)^{tan(2x)}}[/itex], and then use L'Hospital's rule, but I can't seem to get the tan(2x) to go away. Both appear to be indeterminate, but neither one is 0 at the same time, so it doesn't appear that I should be using L'Hopital's rule in this case. However, I can't see any other way to proceed.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Thanks.

So people can't do these tasks without calculators anymore? :-)
Hey, at the very least my professor doesn't allow them on tests. :approve:
 
jbunniii said:
Have you tried using

[tex]\tan(2x) = \frac{2 \tan(x)}{1 - \tan^2(x)}[/tex]

There is the good response here, and I particularly agree with this because this generally makes the simplification a bit simple.

Don't forget that you have the function as the exponent of the another function! Here is the hint:

Let y = lim x→π/4 (tan(x))^(tan(2x)). Then, perform logarithms, and we have...

ln(y) = lim x→π/4 tan(2x) * ln(tan(x))

Mod note: Removed intermediate steps students should work out on their own.[/color]

Also don't forget to set both sides by e. You should get the results. Let me know if this helps.

Key: ♪ Practice, practice! You will get better with limits like this! ♫
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Same-same said:

Homework Statement


[itex]\frac{Lim}{x-> \pi/4}[/itex] tan(x)[itex]^{tan(2x)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Lim}{x-> \pi/4}tan(2x)[/itex] does not exist.
However, Wolfram Alpha and my TI-89 say that [itex]\frac{Lim}{x-> \pi/4}[/itex] tan(x)[itex]^{tan(2x)}[/itex]does exist, and that it's [itex]\frac{1}{e}[/itex]
I submitted this answer (it's web based homework and calculators are allowed) and found it was correct. I still don't understand how though.

Homework Equations


tan(2x) = [itex]\frac{2tan(x)}{1-tan^{2}(x)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I attempted to split it in to
[itex]\frac{sin(x)^{tan(2x)}}{cos(x)^{tan(2x)}}[/itex], and then use L'Hospital's rule, but I can't seem to get the tan(2x) to go away. Both appear to be indeterminate, but neither one is 0 at the same time, so it doesn't appear that I should be using L'Hopital's rule in this case. However, I can't see any other way to proceed.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it's true that[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to \pi/4} \tan(2x)[/itex] does not exist.

But [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to \pi/4} \tan(x)=1\,,[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to (\pi/4)^+} \tan(2x)=+\infty\ .[/itex]


Find the limit of the log of that expression.

If [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to \pi/4} \ln\left(\left(\tan(x)\right)^{\tan(2x)}\right)=L\,,[/itex]

then [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to \pi/4} \left(\tan(x)\right)^{\tan(2x)}=e^L\ .[/itex]
 
Last edited: