[itex]sec^{2}(x)tan(x)dx[/itex] Let U = sec(x) or tan(x) ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lebombo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Lebombo
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
The integral of [itex]sec^{2}(x)tan(x)dx[/itex] is what I'm asking about.

Homework Statement


[itex]sec^{2}(x)tan(x)dx[/itex]

I can let u = tanx
then du = [itex]sec^{2}(x)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}\int udu[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}tan^{2}(x)[/itex]OR

I can let u = secx
then du = secxtanx dx

[itex]\int udu[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}u^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}sec^{2}(x)[/itex]Why do both work? Which one is correct? Or are both correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lebombo said:
The integral of [itex]sec^{2}(x)tan(x)dx[/itex] is what I'm asking about.

Homework Statement





[itex]sec^{2}(x)tan(x)dx[/itex]

I can let u = tanx
then du = [itex]sec^{2}(x)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}\int udu[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}tan^{2}(x)[/itex]


OR

I can let u = secx
then du = secxtanx dx

[itex]\int udu[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}u^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2}sec^{2}(x)[/itex]


Why do both work? Which one is correct? Or are both correct?

They both work. They differ by a constant. sec(x)^2-tan(x)^2=1. You should put a '+C' in when you write the solution to an indefinite integral. That's where the difference is.