1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a certain function of n as n goes to infinity

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\lim_{n->\infty} 3(\frac{n}{n+1})^n[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I know that the answer is 3/e, because this limit was solved a year ago when I took calculus 1 by my teacher, and I foolishly copied only the answer, thinking I would never forget and have to go back.

I can't for the life of me understand how he did that, can someone help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

$$\frac{n}{n+1} = 1-\frac{1}{n+1}$$
    Shifting the index by 1 (and ignoring the 3), the limit becomes $$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^n \left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^{-1}$$ which is easy to study.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another way to look at it:
    $$3 \left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n = \frac{3}{\left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)^n} = \frac{3}{\left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n}$$
    The expression in the denominator on the right hand side should look familiar.

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4
    Oh yeah, of course! It's a fundamental limit, Thanks to you both, but I have to say that jbunniii's representation made it perfectly clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook