Limit of a certain function of n as n goes to infinity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
ShizukaSm
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[itex]\lim_{n->\infty} 3(\frac{n}{n+1})^n[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok, I know that the answer is 3/e, because this limit was solved a year ago when I took calculus 1 by my teacher, and I foolishly copied only the answer, thinking I would never forget and have to go back.

I can't for the life of me understand how he did that, can someone help me, please?

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
$$\frac{n}{n+1} = 1-\frac{1}{n+1}$$
Shifting the index by 1 (and ignoring the 3), the limit becomes $$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^n \left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^{-1}$$ which is easy to study.
 
Another way to look at it:
$$3 \left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^n = \frac{3}{\left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)^n} = \frac{3}{\left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n}$$
The expression in the denominator on the right hand side should look familiar.
 
Oh yeah, of course! It's a fundamental limit, Thanks to you both, but I have to say that jbunniii's representation made it perfectly clear.