Limit of a two-variable function

Homework Statement

Does the following limit exist: ##\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} = \frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+xy^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am trying to evaluate the limit along several curves, such as y=x, y=0, y=x^2, and I keep getting 1. I can't think of any other curves to evaluate on. Does the limit exist or is there another curve that I am not evaluating that gives a different limit?

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
So I am trying to evaluate the limit along several curves, such as y=x, y=0, y=x^2, and I keep getting 1
If it does exist, it does not matter how many curves you try you will not have proved it. So how about trying to prove it exists?

Homework Statement

Does the following limit exist: ##\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow (0,0)} = \frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+xy^2}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am trying to evaluate the limit along several curves, such as y=x, y=0, y=x^2, and I keep getting 1. I can't think of any other curves to evaluate on. Does the limit exist or is there another curve that I am not evaluating that gives a different limit?
Converting to polar form is fruitful, showing that the limit does exist.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Converting to polar form is fruitful, showing that the limit does exist.
Converting to polar form, I get, after simplification, ##\displaystyle \lim_{r \rightarrow 0^+} \sqrt{1+\cos \theta \sin^2 \theta}##. I'm not sure how to proceed

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Converting to polar form, I get, after simplification, ##\displaystyle \lim_{r \rightarrow 0^+} \sqrt{1+\cos \theta \sin^2 \theta}##. I'm not sure how to proceed
You seem to have dropped an r.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Wrong expression!