Limit of e(-t/2)((k/2)t+c) as t Approaches Infinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter wumple
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
wumple
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the limit of e(-t/2)((k/2)t+c) as t approaches infinity where k and c are constants


Homework Equations


Not sure..?


The Attempt at a Solution


Plugging in t = infinity gives me an indeterminate form, and multiple applications of L'hopital's rule have led me no where. Any suggestions? I can see graphically that it goes to 0, but I'm not sure how to show this analytically. I can see that if I expand it, the e(-t/2)c term goes to zero, but I'm not sure about the other term.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know if this is a valid form of proving limits, but e-t/2 approaches 0 faster than any polynomial can approach infinity as t→∞.
 
yeah I was hoping that L'hopital's rule would show that but it didn't work out...
 
wumple said:
yeah I was hoping that L'hopital's rule would show that but it didn't work out...

Wouldn't L'Hopital's rule as show it going to zero since d/dt{0.5kt+c} is does not contain a tern in 't'?
 
rock.freak667 said:
Wouldn't L'Hopital's rule as show it going to zero since d/dt{0.5kt+c} is does not contain a tern in 't'?

Oops! yes! Thank you, I found my mistake.