Proving inverse Fourier transform of 1/(1+x^2) = 1/(1+x^2)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Vitani11
Messages
275
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


F(t) = sqrt(π/2)e-t for t>0
F(t) = sqrt(π/2)et for t<0
In other words the question asks to solve this integral: 1/sqrt(2π) ∫F(t)eitxdt and show that it equals 1/(1+x2)

Homework Equations


F(t) = sqrt(π/2)e-t for t>0
F(t) = sqrt(π/2)et for t<0
1/sqrt(2π) ∫F(t)eitxdt

The Attempt at a Solution


I want to use complex numbers but these functions are analytic and so I can not do this using residues. A naive approach to integrating with respect to t is straightforward but the limits cause the result to be infinity. How should I approach this properly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement


F(t) = sqrt(π/2)e-t for t>0
F(t) = sqrt(π/2)et for t<0
In other words the question asks to solve this integral: 1/sqrt(2π) ∫F(t)eitxdt and show that it equals 1/(1+x2)

Homework Equations


F(t) = sqrt(π/2)e-t for t>0
F(t) = sqrt(π/2)et for t<0
1/sqrt(2π) ∫F(t)eitxdt

The Attempt at a Solution


I want to use complex numbers but these functions are analytic and so I can not do this using residues. A naive approach to integrating with respect to t is straightforward but the limits cause the result to be infinity. How should I approach this properly?
Break up the real line into ##-(\infty, 0)## and ##(0,\infty)##, then do two separate integrals. Each integral is really easy.