Finding the limit of f(x) as x approaches 2 given 5x ≤ f(x) ≤ x³+2

  • Thread starter Thread starter step1536
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 2K views
step1536
Messages
19
Reaction score
0


IF 5X<=f(X)<=X^3+2
FIND LIM F(X)IS X=2
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I'm sorry, what are you asking? Is it this:

If [itex]5x\le f(x)\le x^3+2[/itex] then find [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}f(x)[/itex] ?
 


step1536 said:
yes that is correct

What do you know about the limit of a function that is being "Sandwiched" or "Squeezed" between two other functions? hint...hint...:wink:
 


I think I understand limits but this last question says that lim x=0
evaluate limx^6 cos 7/x
I came up with 0 or would it be limit does not exist.
 


[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}x^6\cos(\frac{7}{x})[/tex] ?
 


Hmmm... I am not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in here. I don't remember all of the 'tricks' to evaluating limits.

If you can find a way to rewrite the function such that the 'x' in the denominator can be cancelled, then the limit exists.

I would play around with the trig identities maybe?
 


The limit should be 0, since x gets arbitrarily small. Although there is oscillation from the cos, the function is bounded. You should try proving this rigorously.
 


Saladsamurai said:
Hmmm... I am not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in here. I don't remember all of the 'tricks' to evaluating limits.

If you can find a way to rewrite the function such that the 'x' in the denominator can be cancelled, then the limit exists.

I would play around with the trig identities maybe?

No.. you don't need any trig identity here. When dealing with limits of this kind, i.e involving the product of one part tending to 0, and the other part oscillating. Then, one should think right about the range of the oscillating part, and how "big" can it get.

Hint hint.. :wink:

Saladsamurai said:
What do you know about the limit of a function that is being "Sandwiched" or "Squeezed" between two other functions? hint...hint...:wink:
 


VietDao29 said:
No.. you don't need any trig identity here. When dealing with limits of this kind, i.e involving the product of one part tending to 0, and the other part oscillating. Then, one should think right about the range of the oscillating part, and how "big" can it get.

Hint hint.. :wink:

Is one of the 'factors' oscillating though? It looks undefined. But, like I said, it's been awhile :smile:

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow0}x^6\cos(\frac{7}{x})[/tex]
 


Saladsamurai said:
Is one of the 'factors' oscillating though? It looks undefined. But, like I said, it's been awhile :smile:

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow0}x^6\cos(\frac{7}{x})[/tex]

The function is undefined at x = 0. However the limit does exist when x tends to 0.

Another example is:

[tex]\frac{x ^ 2}{x}[/tex] is undefined at x = 0. But:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x ^ 2}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x = 0[/tex].

------------------

Or:

[tex]\frac{\sin(x)}{x}[/tex] is undefined at x = 0. But:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} = 1[/tex].

Because, when taking limit as x tends to 0. We just consider the values for x near 0 (0 excluded). So, when the function is undefined at x = 0, the limit may still exist. :)

Well, if you are still unsure about how to do it. I'll give you a hint then:

  1. Find the range for cos(x)
  2. Then, try to apply the "Sandwich Theorem" like this:
    [tex]... \leq x ^ 6 \cos\left(\frac{7}{x} \right) \leq ...[/tex]
 


Ah. I see, I am actually just reviewing limits fir the first time in years. I have past the section on how to deal with rational functions with zero denominators if the zero in the denominator can be 'eliminated.'

But, have yet to get to the part where they cannot.

Thanks for the preview :smile: