Limit of integral lead to proof of convergence to dirac delta

In summary, the conversation is about the attempt to prove that the function f_n = \frac{\sin{nx}}{\pi x} converges to Dirac delta distribution. The speaker mentions a lemma that guarantees this if certain conditions are met. They then discuss the need to show that the limit of the integral of f_n is 0 when 0 is not in the range of integration, and 1 when it is. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed, but another person suggests using a substitution to evaluate the limit as an infinite integral. The speaker realizes their mistake and is able to solve the problem.
lakmus
Hi,
I try to prove, that function
[itex]f_n = \frac{\sin{nx}}{\pi x}[/itex] converges to dirac delta distribution (in the meaning of distributions sure). On our course we postulated lemma, that guarantee us this if [itex] f_n [/itex]
satisfy some conditions. So I need to show, that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\int_{a}^{b}f_n \mathrm{d}x[/itex] is
[itex]0[/itex] when [itex]0 [/itex] isn't in [itex] [a,b][/itex] and
[itex]1[/itex] for [itex]0 [/itex] in [itex](a,b)[/itex] .

I never met with problem before, the integral isn't "clasical" function and I don't have clue, how could I even start. I tried do some limit proceses, but it didn't show any concrete value - just estimation . . . (for other function which I found on wiki was possible count the integral and the limit is after easy . . .)

Thaks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let y = nx and see what happens to the integral.

Well, I get
[itex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \int_{\frac{a}{n}}^{\frac{b}{n}} \frac{\sin{y}}{\pi y}dy [/itex]
Right?
Actually I tried this before, but what now? Thanks and sorry, if it is obvious, but I can't see it . .
I tried do some limit processes, and if sign(a)=sign(b) and the function is there continues, that it
is integral from "zero" to "zero" which could be zero . . . ? But what about other case, can't imagine the way I could get the result 1 . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
You got the limits wrong. They should be axn and bxn, not a/n and b/n. The limit is just the infinite integral.

You can't imagine, how did you help me! (sure, shame on me - i did just really stupid mistake) But integral from minus to plus infinity I can calculate, so problem solved!
Thank you very much.

1. What is the limit of an integral?

The limit of an integral is the value that a definite integral approaches as the interval over which it is integrated approaches zero.

2. How does the limit of an integral relate to the Dirac delta function?

The limit of an integral is used to prove convergence to the Dirac delta function, which represents a point mass at zero and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point sources.

3. What is the significance of proving convergence to the Dirac delta function?

Proving convergence to the Dirac delta function allows for the use of the Dirac delta function in calculations and models, making it a powerful tool in various fields of science and engineering.

4. How is the proof of convergence to the Dirac delta function typically approached?

The proof typically involves taking the limit of a sequence of functions that converge to the Dirac delta function and using properties of integrals to show that the limit is indeed the Dirac delta function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving convergence to the Dirac delta function?

Yes, there are many real-world applications, including using the Dirac delta function to model point sources in fluid mechanics, electric circuits, and signal processing.