Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of integral lead to proof of convergence to dirac delta

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    I try to prove, that function
    [itex]f_n = \frac{\sin{nx}}{\pi x}[/itex] converges to dirac delta distribution (in the meaning of distributions sure). On our course we postulated lemma, that guarantee us this if [itex] f_n [/itex]
    satisfy some conditions. So I need to show, that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\int_{a}^{b}f_n \mathrm{d}x[/itex] is
    [itex]0[/itex] when [itex]0 [/itex] isn't in [itex] [a,b][/itex] and
    [itex]1[/itex] for [itex]0 [/itex] in [itex](a,b)[/itex] .

I never met with problem before, the integral isn't "clasical" function and I don't have clue, how could I even start. I tried do some limit proceses, but it didn't show any concrete value - just estimation . . . (for other function which I found on wiki was possible count the integral and the limit is after easy . . .)

Thaks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let y = nx and see what happens to the integral.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    Well, I get
    [itex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \int_{\frac{a}{n}}^{\frac{b}{n}} \frac{\sin{y}}{\pi y}dy [/itex]
    Right?
    Actually I tried this before, but what now? Thanks and sorry, if it is obvious, but I can't see it . .
    I tried do some limit processes, and if sign(a)=sign(b) and the function is there continues, that it
    is integral from "zero" to "zero" which could be zero . . . ? But what about other case, can't imagine the way I could get the result 1 . . .

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  5. Feb 8, 2013 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You got the limits wrong. They should be axn and bxn, not a/n and b/n. The limit is just the infinite integral.

6. Feb 8, 2013 #5
    You can't imagine, how did you help me! (sure, shame on me - i did just really stupid mistake) But integral from minus to plus infinity I can calculate, so problem solved!
    Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook