Limit of Lim h->0 ((2+h^2) - 8)/h

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Arixal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
Arixal
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I saw my professor solve for the limit of ((2+h)2 - 8)/h as h approaches 0 and it was defined, but for the life of me I can't remember how. Everyone I have asked can't seem to figure it out either, so I was hoping someone here could explain.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Arixal said:
I saw my professor solve for the limit of ((2+h)2 - 8)/h as h approaches 0

I'm going to assume the thread title is a typo.

and it was defined

Hint: let ##h = 0.1, 0.01, 0.001, \ldots## and manually calculate the expression for each ##h##.
 
Arixal said:
I saw my professor solve for the limit of ((2+h)2 - 8)/h as h approaches 0 and it was defined, but for the life of me I can't remember how. Everyone I have asked can't seem to figure it out either, so I was hoping someone here could explain.


You wrote

$$\frac{(2+h)^2-8}{h}$$

and the limit of this thing when [itex]\,h\to 0\,[/itex] doesn't exist. But perhaps you meant

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{(2+h)^3-8}{h}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{8+12h+6h^2+h^3-8}{h}=\lim_{h\to 0}\;(12+6h+h^2)=12$$

DonAntonio