Limit of two matrices each to the kth power and multiplied

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JPBenowitz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit Matrices Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
JPBenowitz
Messages
144
Reaction score
2
If I have two square nonnegative primitive matrices where the Perron-Frobenius Theorem applies how would I calculate lim (A^k)(B^k) as k approaches infinity.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming I would just find A^k and B^k by diagonalization multiply them and then find the limit?
 
You would probably be expected to exploit the properties of those non-negative primitive matrices which P-F can be applied to. I'd start by working though the definitions - bearing in mind what you understand about matrix manipulations. Note: there is a fair amount of overlap between the three conditions:

i.e.
is it possible to have a primitive matrix that is not non-negative?
what sorts of matrices can F-P be applied to?