Limit of (√x-√a)/(x-a) as x approaches a

  • Thread starter Thread starter TyChi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
TyChi
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Evaluate the limit

Lim (√x-√a)/(x-a)
x→a



I am not sure how to solve this. I asked my classmates and they do not know either. Help would be much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have type zero-over-zero, thus permitting use of L'Hospital's rule, which says you can take the derivative of the top and the derivative of the bottom and then evaluate the limit.
 
TyChi said:

Homework Statement



Evaluate the limit

Lim (√x-√a)/(x-a)
x→a

I am not sure how to solve this. I asked my classmates and they do not know either. Help would be much appreciated!
You might consider rationalizing numerator. Then there's no need to use L'Hôpital's rule.