Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits, find delta given epsilon

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    A positive number epsilon (e) and a limit L of a function f at a are given. Find delta such that |f(x)-L|< epsilon if 0 < |x-a| < delta. [tex]\lim_{x->5}, 1/x= 1/5, \epsilon=.05[/tex]. That implies the following [tex] |\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{5}|< \epsilon \mbox{ if }|x-5|<\delta[/tex]. Which implies [tex] |\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{5}|< .05 \\ [/tex]. Which gives [tex].15< \frac{1}{x} < .25[/tex]. Which gives [tex]6\frac{2}{6}> x > 4 \mbox{ therefore } 1\frac{2}{3} < x-5< -1[/tex]. Which does not give the correct delta. I maybe rusty on algebra, as I am studying on my own. Could someone show me how to do it correctly. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Here is your mistake. The condition is supposed to be [tex]|x-5|<\delta[/tex].

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    Do you mean that the arrows are the wrong way around [tex] 6\frac{2}{3}>x>4 \mbox{ therefore } 1\frac{2}{3}>x-5>-1[/tex].The actual answer to [tex]\delta = \frac{1}{505} [/tex]. But I cannot get it.

5. Sep 7, 2009 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Are you sure you copied the question correctly? If you use 1/x ->5 as x->1/5 instead of the other way around you get that answer.

6. Sep 8, 2009 #5
    I checked out the question and I have copied it correctly, they must have meant [tex] \lim_{\frac{1}{x}->5} [/tex]. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook