Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits in infinite unions of sets

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    Suppose I define sets [itex]D_n = \lbrace x \in [0,1] | [/itex] x has an n-digit long binary expansion [itex]\rbrace [/itex].

Now consider [itex]\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} D_n[/itex]. This is just the set of Dyadic rationals and therefore countable for sure.

Now for the question: is this equal to [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n[/itex]? Clearly we have [itex] D_1 \subset D_2 \subset ... \subset D_n [/itex] so I am tempted to think of this as [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} D_n [/itex]. If I am allowed to take the limit, then it would seem that [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n = [0,1][/itex]. Where am I doing a naughty physicist mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How do you conclude this? It looks to me like this would be the set of all numbers that have terminating decimal expansions which is a subset of the rational numbers in [0, 1].

4. Mar 2, 2012 #3
    Which D_n contains .10101010...? In fact what you proved is that the set of rationals with terminating binary expansion is countable.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4
    Let me rephrase this slightly: I can write any real number between 0 and 1 in binary expansion, and therefore
    [itex] [0,1] = \lbrace x | x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace \rbrace. [/itex]
    Why am I not allowed to equate this with the union of sets
    [itex] D_m = \lbrace x |x = \sum_{n=0}^{m} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace [/itex],
    [itex] D = \bigcup_{m=0}^{\infty} D_m = \lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} D_m \neq [0,1] [/itex] ?

6. Mar 6, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Again, which [itex]D_m[/itex] contains x=0.1010101010101010101... ???

Remember that x being in the union means that it is an element of one of the sets. So if [itex]x\in \bigcup D_n[/itex], then [itex]x\in D_n[/itex] for an n. Does there exist such an n?

7. Mar 7, 2012 #6
    Thanks, got it! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook