1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits involving the constant 'e'.

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    Hi. I'm confused about calculating the limit of a function involving Euler's number. I need to know the proper way to find the limit so I can determine the equation of the horizontal asymptote of the function. I do know, in my head what the graph looks like so I know that there is a horizontal asymptote is y=0. I just have to show my work, thats where I'm stuck.

Here is the problem:

lim(x->infinity)(2e^x)

My attempt:

lim(x->infinity)(2e^x) = lim(x->infinity)(2/e^-x)

=lim(x->infinity)(2/e^-infinity)

=lim(x->infinity)(2/0)

=0 Therefore: y=0

I'm not sure if I'm doing the problem the right way. If I did somehow get it right, can someone please give me a brief description on the proper method?

Thanks In Advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    Isn't the lim(2*e^x) = infinity? As x approaches infinity, so does e^x. You don't even really need those last couple steps, because lim(2e^x) = 2e^(infinity) = infinity.

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3

exk

Morphayne,

2/0 doesn't equal 0, it's "equal" to infinity, but in reality it's undefined.

Your original limit is equal to infinity for the reason that steelphantom mentioned.

5. Apr 15, 2008 #4
    Well, the answer in the textbook is says that there is a horizontal asymptote at y=0 which means that this limit somehow equals zero...

Help please!

6. Apr 15, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As has been said previously,

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}2e^{x} = \infty[/tex]

However,

[tex]\lim_{x\to-\infty}2e^{x} = 0[/tex]

Hence the horizontal asymptote.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?