Limits of sin(√(1-x))/√(1-x²) and (x²+sin x)/(x²+cos x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter skateza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
skateza
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


lim as x approaches 1 from the left of (sin[tex](\sqrt{1-x})[/tex])/[tex]\sqrt{1-x2}[/tex]

and

lim as x approaches infinity [tex](x^{2}+sinx)/(x^{2}+cosx)[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I have attempted to solve these although my brain is raw, i have done a hundred limits today because my assignment is due tomorrow and I am just lost on these ones... any starting tips
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second one is easy. sin and cos are bounded. x^2 isn't. Your first problem doesn't have enough parentheses in it to make it clear. But in any event, since it looks like it is of a 0/0 form I would use L'Hopital's rule. Is it sin of the whole thing or just of the first sqrt. And does x2 mean 2*x or x^2?
 
Last edited:
ok i fixed the parentheses,

What do u mean by sin and cos are bounded
 
I mean |sin(x)|<=1 and same for cos while x^2 goes to infinity. Now does x2 mean x^2 or 2*x?
 
I'm still going for trying to hit the first one with L'Hopital's rule. How's the second one going?
 
Isn't the first one just sin x / x in disguise?
 
Hurkyl said:
Isn't the first one just sin x / x in disguise?

Sure it could be done that way. I'm still waiting for the OP to do SOMETHING. The second one is not that hard.
 
I've solved the second one, i got 1, easy... just divided by the highest power of x in the denom. I did it a while ago i just for got to post sorry haha... but the first one has still got me,, because their is an x^2 in the bottom, so its not quite sinx/x
 
You can factor (1-x^2)=(1-x)*(1+x). I was wondering if I had lost you.