Line integral with parametrization from (1,0,1) to (0,1,1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ted123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ted123
Messages
428
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[PLAIN]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4543/vectort.jpg

For part (iv) "starting at [itex](1,0)[/itex] and ending at [itex](0,1)[/itex]" should read "starting at [itex](1,0,1)[/itex] and ending at [itex](0,1,1)[/itex]".

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I've done the 1st 3 parts (I think) - can anyone check whether they agree with my answers please. For part (iv) I've parametrised it as follows but can't see how to do the integration.

My answers for parts (i)-(iii):
(i) [itex]\frac{69}{70}[/itex]

(ii) [itex]\frac{29}{3}[/itex]

(iii) [itex]\frac{1}{4}(96+\pi- 24\pi ^2 + \pi ^4)[/itex]

My attempt at part (iv) - how do I do the integration?

[itex]{\bf p}(t) = (\text{cos}^3\,t , \text{sin}^3\,t , 1)\;\;\;\;0\leq t \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

[itex]{\bf p}'(t) = (-3\text{sin}\,t\,\text{cos}^2\,t, 3\text{sin}^2\,t\,\text{cos}\,t , 0)\;\;\;\;0\leq t \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

And so the integral equals:

[itex]\displaystyle \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \left[ xy\frac{dx}{dt} + yz\frac{dy}{dt} + zx\frac{dz}{dt} \right]\;dt = \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \left[ 3\text{cos}^5\,t\,\text{sin}^4\,t\, + 3\text{sin}^5\,t\,\text{cos}\,t \right]\;dt[/itex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the final integral to be:
[tex] -9\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{6}t(1-\cos^{2}t)^{2}\sin tdt[/tex]
Use the substitution [tex]u=\cos t[/tex]
 
hunt_mat said:
I get the final integral to be:
[tex] -9\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{6}t(1-\cos^{2}t)^{2}\sin tdt[/tex]
Use the substitution [tex]u=\cos t[/tex]

How does

[itex]\displaystyle -9\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{6}t(1-\cos^{2}t)^{2}\sin tdt = \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \left[ 3\text{sin}^5\,t\,\text{cos}\,t - 3\text{cos}^5\,t\,\text{sin}^4\,t\, \right]\;dt[/itex] ?