Integrating a Line Integral with Parametric Equations

In summary, to evaluate the line integral given by ∫c y2 dx + 2xy dy, where C is the path from (1, 2) to (2, 4) parametrised by r(t) = (t2 + 1)i + (2t2 + 2)j, 0 ≤ t ≤ 1, one can first calculate the velocity magnitude |v(t)| as 2t√5 and then integrate it with respect to t from 0 to 1. This results in a solution of 56. However, it may also be necessary to use the equations x(t) and y(t) from the parametrisation to convert the integral into one from
animboy

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral ∫c y2 dx + 2xy dy,

where C, is the path from (1, 2) to (2, 4) parametrised by

r(t) = (t2 + 1)i + (2t2 + 2)j , 0 ≤ t ≤ 1

Homework Equations

I worked out the velocity magnitude |v(t)| as 2t√5

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply integrated the velocity with respect to t from 0 to 1. and got 56, but then I don't see why I needed that first equation. Are we supposed to do dot product or something first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you supposed to get x( t) and y(t) from the 2nd eqn and to then sub it into the 1st to convert it to an integral in t from 0 to 1? And then solve it.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a scalar or vector function along a given curve or path.

2. How do you evaluate a line integral?

To evaluate a line integral, you first need to parameterize the given curve or path by determining a set of parametric equations. Then, you integrate the function being evaluated with respect to the parameter, using the limits of the parameter to represent the start and end points of the curve.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a double integral?

A line integral is calculated along a one-dimensional curve, while a double integral is calculated over a two-dimensional region. Line integrals also have a parameter that represents the path, while double integrals have two variables representing the dimensions of the region.

4. When is a line integral useful?

A line integral is useful in many applications, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate work done by a force along a path, fluid flow rate through a pipe, and circulation of a vector field, among other things.

5. What are the types of line integrals?

There are three types of line integrals: a line integral of a scalar function, a line integral of a vector field, and a line integral of a differential form. Each type has a different formula and represents a different concept, but they all involve integrating a function along a given curve.