Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line operations on matrix products

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    Can I perform line operations on a matrix product? For example the matrix product ABC and I know that A and C are invertible, can I row reduce to get ICI? Will the product be conserved?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Line operations"? Do you mean "row operations"? The crucial point of row operations is that every row operation is equivalent to multiplying by a specific "elementary matrix", the matrix you get by applying that row operation to the identity operation. That is if row operations will reduce A to an identity matrix, then there exist a sequence of matrices [itex]P_1[/itex], [itex]P_2[/itex], ..., [itex]P_n[/itex] such that [itex]P_nP_{n-1}...P_2P_1A= I[/itex]. Similarly if C is invertible, there exist a sequence of matrices [itex]Q_1[/itex], [itex]Q_2[/itex], ..., [itex]Q_m[/itex] such that [itex]CQ_1Q_2... Q_{m-1}Q_m= I[/itex]. So applying those row corresponding to the "P" matrices, on the left, and those row operations corresponding to the "Q" matrices , on the right, we would get IBI (which I presume you meant, not "ICI") but, obviously, the product is NOT conserved since, in general, ABC is NOT the same as IBI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook