B+ in Linear Algebra: Will Grad Schools Reject Me?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's concern over receiving a B+ in Linear Algebra and how it may affect their chances of getting into grad/medical school. They have the option to retake the final exam, but are unsure if it is worth the effort. Others advise them to focus on their overall performance and not let one grade define them. The conversation also touches on the importance of Linear Algebra in mathematics and the idea of constantly striving for perfection.
MarsVolta
So today I got my final grades back and this was my lowest. A B+ in Linear Algebra. I'm panicking. Haha.

Just a quick question, since this is my lowest grade so far, would Graduate Schools/Medical Schools look down upon this? Grad schools such as Princeton or MIT. I just have this feeling like they're are going to stare at my transcript and at this one class and just say: "B+ in Linear Algebra! Ha, what an idiot!" Like this is going to be the only thing that sticks out is this B+.

I have the option to retake the final and raise my grade anyway, I'm just looking for advice cause I hated this class and would hate to sit through days of studying again.

I know I'm being very dramatic and I apologize.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you have the rest of your stuff together, no one will probably ever care.

Asphodel said:
no one will probably ever care.

Keyword: Probably...

Oi, I should really learn to bend the truth a little when I know people will seize upon my qualifiers...

Really, don't worry about it. If anything, take it as a sign to work harder in future classes.

MarsVolta said:
I have the option to retake the final and raise my grade anyway, I'm just looking for advice cause I hated this class and would hate to sit through days of studying again.

Wow, that would be nice to be able to retake finals. Maybe you should go study and get an A, instead of posting on the internet about it.

MarsVolta said:

I had a post written out saying not to worry about it and that what has happened can't be changed, but I failed to read this part of your post. I agree with the guy above me. Get off the internet and start studying. Who cares if you don't like it? Get it done.

If you're planning on going to medical school, be forewarned that most of them will at least informally do a bit of psychological evaluation when you interview. The fact that you are really worried about a B+ bodes ill for that.

So in short, learn to do your best and live with what it yields. If you can't deal with a B+, how can you deal with losing a patient?

huckmank said:
I had a post written out saying not to worry about it and that what has happened can't be changed, but I failed to read this part of your post. I agree with the guy above me. Get off the internet and start studying. Who cares if you don't like it? Get it done.

bravernix said:
Wow, that would be nice to be able to retake finals. Maybe you should go study and get an A, instead of posting on the internet about it.

I believe he's asking whether he should bother retaking the final exam or just leave it as it is. It's not a horrendous grade, but it's nothing to boast about either. Seriously are you guys really going to advise him to retake every class in which he didn't get an A?

a B+ is your lowest grade? put your rear end down here and i will personally kick it for you. get real. what kind of candy ass courses have you been taking?

I agree with mathwonk, also, Linear Algebra is a really really important course. I don't know which sequence of it you are taking, but a rigorous linear algebra course with proofs is essential to a mathematician.

Sweet mother of mercy. I don't know what's worse, hearing that someone is worried about getting anything but an "A" (don't worry about it) or the people who pipe in with the opinion that if you don't have 4.00 GPA then you're screwed for life. (NOT that this has happened here, but I have seen that attitude in so many grad school related boards.)

And whatever you do, do NOT spend your entire personal statement/application letter explaining your terrible, terrible "B". Congratulations, you're only "above average" instead of "significantly above average" in this one class. I'm sure your educational and career options are all still just as open as they were before. Maybe more, since they will not have to assume you're the kind of overachieving 4.0 student who will crack and go bell-tower on them the first time they get a less-than-perfect grade.

Sure, re-take the final if it means that much to you. But you could also write it off as your one inconsequential flaw--like the "beauty mark" on the cheek of Marilyn Monroe, in a way.

Defennder said:
I believe he's asking whether he should bother retaking the final exam or just leave it as it is. It's not a horrendous grade, but it's nothing to boast about either. Seriously are you guys really going to advise him to retake every class in which he didn't get an A?

Point to me where exactly in my post I recommended he retake the class. It would be ridiculous to retake a 16 week course just to boost his grade from a B+ to an A+ and I actually made a nod towards not retaking the class and not worrying about the grade once it's in. What I did recommend is taking advantage of the fact that the professor is allowing the students to retake the test. If the OP doesn't take every possibility to ensure that he does well, maybe grad schools should think twice about accepting him.

I haven't heard of a college which allows their students to retake just the final exams. Surely such an anomaly would be reflected somehow in the transcript. There has to be a catch here. The OP should verify this.

The real question here is did you learn everything that you feel you were supposed to learn in the course? Actually, that's the only question. When people obsess over grades they usually forget about the knowledge that the 'A' is supposed to represent.

I think it's also important to know how meaningful A's our in your school. If A's are given freely, the B+ might represent failure. Good old grade inflation. That's why letters of recommendation are invaluable to the committee that will look at your application. Well honest letters. It's getting to the point where transcripts and letters are nearly meaningless unless you badly mess up. I would bet that research and tutoring experience can make all the difference in the world on those grad school apps.

Anyway I'm blathering on, I'm just saying that your grade is not a priori meaningful without knowing the context, and the people reading through hundreds of applications are too busy to frame that grade properly.

mathwonk said:
a B+ is your lowest grade? put your rear end down here and i will personally kick it for you. get real. what kind of candy ass courses have you been taking?

JasonJo said:
I agree with mathwonk, also, Linear Algebra is a really really important course. I don't know which sequence of it you are taking, but a rigorous linear algebra course with proofs is essential to a mathematician.

I agree as well. I had a rigorous proof based linear course (meaning we were graded on our ability to prove things correctly) and it is not an easy course. If your course was anything like the one I had or the ones many people talk about here, a B+ is nothing to be ashamed about.

Defennder said:

Right on, I know it's nothing bad but nothing great. I was just wondering if i should even bother. I'm happy with the grade, but just wondering if it is worth studying again for about 1 point.

Defender said:
I haven't heard of a college which allows their students to retake just the final exams. Surely such an anomaly would be reflected somehow in the transcript. There has to be a catch here. The OP should verify this.
And it's just the teacher, she is a kind hearted older lady who feels that if our final was lower then our test average, then we should have the opportunity to retake the final.

Defennder said:

Most of you are missing the key point of his post..that he could study a bit more and retake the FINAL (not the class). If he actually did this, it would make the entire thread pointless. Of course one B+ is not going to make a difference, but if you can put in a couple days more of study time and not have to worry about it, why not do this?

G01 said:
I agree as well. I had a rigorous proof based linear course (meaning we were graded on our ability to prove things correctly) and it is not an easy course. If your course was anything like the one I had or the ones many people talk about here, a B+ is nothing to be ashamed about.

Well what if you received a B in Linear Algebra? Is that something to be the ashamed of?

Benzoate said:
Well what if you received a B in Linear Algebra? Is that something to be the ashamed of?

This can't be a serious question.

If you are ever ashamed of any grade you get, you take school way too seriously.

bravernix said:
Most of you are missing the key point of his post..that he could study a bit more and retake the FINAL (not the class). If he actually did this, it would make the entire thread pointless. Of course one B+ is not going to make a difference, but if you can put in a couple days more of study time and not have to worry about it, why not do this?
What is the catch here? How are the results of this retake graded? Against that of others who also chose to retake? Would it be harder? My school has a policy of setting more difficult papers who took the test later than others due to legitimate absence of leave such as illnesses. If you retook the test and got a worse grade (pray that won't happen), which grade would be reflected? The one that is taken later or whichever is higher?

Let's be honest here. This kid is done. He ruined his career. IT'S OVER MAN! :(

/ j/k

will.c said:
If you are ever ashamed of any grade you get, you take school way too seriously.

I don't know about that. I am ashamed about one grade I got. My preceptor was like "what happened there?" I did some really silly things in that class. I weep. :(

I'm not taking anything too serious here. Honestly, I think most of you are taking this way too serious. I was just asking if it is worth it to retake it. I'm not ashamed of the grade, I just wondering if going the extra mile is worth an extra 2 points for an A over B+.

Stop taking this too seriously.

MarsVolta said:
I'm not taking anything too serious here. Honestly, I think most of you are taking this way too serious. I was just asking if it is worth it to retake it. I'm not ashamed of the grade, I just wondering if going the extra mile is worth an extra 2 points for an A over B+.

Stop taking this too seriously.

You obviously thought it was serious enough to post another of these threads (of which there seem to be hundreds on PF). If it's not a big deal, either take the B+ and be happy with it, or actually put in a little extra effort and get an A.

mathwonk said:

You crack me up on numerous occasions :rofl:

Perfect people or nerds with "superpowers" scare me. For med school, I think they could care less if you got a B+ or an A in linear. If that's the only B you EVER got, its foolish to even worry about it... though if you can retake the final & get an A, why not go for it?

1. Will a B+ in Linear Algebra affect my chances of getting into grad school?

It depends on the specific grad school and program you are applying to. Generally, grad schools will look at your overall GPA, as well as your grades in relevant courses for your desired program. A B+ in Linear Algebra may not significantly impact your chances if the rest of your application is strong.

2. Should I retake Linear Algebra if I received a B+?

If you are concerned about your grade in Linear Algebra and believe that you can improve it significantly, then retaking the course may be a good option. However, keep in mind that grad schools will also consider the fact that you retook the course when evaluating your application.

3. How can I improve my chances of getting into grad school with a B+ in Linear Algebra?

There are several ways you can improve your chances. First, you can focus on excelling in other courses and maintaining a high overall GPA. Additionally, you can highlight your strengths in other areas, such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement.

4. Will grad schools accept a B+ in Linear Algebra from a community college?

The acceptance of a B+ in Linear Algebra from a community college will vary depending on the grad school and program. Some may have stricter requirements for courses taken at community colleges, while others may not differentiate between courses taken at a community college or a four-year university.

5. Can I explain my B+ in Linear Algebra in my application?

Yes, you can explain your B+ in Linear Algebra in your application, especially if there were extenuating circumstances that affected your performance in the course. Be sure to provide a clear and honest explanation and focus on highlighting your strengths and achievements in other areas of your application.