Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear combination of two solutions of the simplified schroedinger equation

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    This is, when it all comes around, just math. I am asked to prove that if the schroedinger equation looks like:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}[/itex]ψ=-[itex]\frac{4πm}{h}[/itex]*[E-U(x)]ψ(x)

and ψ1 and ψ2 are two separate solutions for the same potential energy U(x), then Aψ1 + Bψ2 is also a solution of the equation.

I am asking this because I think it is obvious that the last solution also satisfies the S.E. if the two terms of it are two individual solutions.

To show that the linear combination is also a solution all you have to do is replace ψ by Aψ1 + Bψ2 in the differential equation, but this feels more like confirming rather than proving. Since I'm pretty new to this quantum mechanic discipline, I would prefer a simple proof, and if there is no simple proof that is more of a proof than a confirmation of the statement, then I have probably already answered the question in the way intended.

Thanks //F

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already have the proof. Your "confirming" stands for proving.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your answer. I came here now to actually post that I found it to be the desired solution :p

I was not too satisfied finding out that I already had come up with the answer according to the solutions manual, since I prefer to start at the opposite end and prove the statement without using the fact that I know where I should end up after carrying through the proving process.

The Schroedinger equation can't be proven, I know that. But the problem I was asked to solve was just about the mathematical representation of the S.E. so I gave it a shot B-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook