Linear combination of two solutions of the simplified schroedinger equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof regarding the linear combination of two solutions of the Schroedinger equation. The equation is represented by a differential equation and the proof involves replacing one solution with a linear combination of two solutions. The speaker prefers a simple proof rather than just confirming the statement. The desired solution is found to be the same as the solution in the solutions manual. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of proving the Schroedinger equation itself.
freddyfish
This is, when it all comes around, just math. I am asked to prove that if the schroedinger equation looks like:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}[/itex]ψ=-[itex]\frac{4πm}{h}[/itex]*[E-U(x)]ψ(x)

and ψ1 and ψ2 are two separate solutions for the same potential energy U(x), then Aψ1 + Bψ2 is also a solution of the equation.

I am asking this because I think it is obvious that the last solution also satisfies the S.E. if the two terms of it are two individual solutions.

To show that the linear combination is also a solution all you have to do is replace ψ by Aψ1 + Bψ2 in the differential equation, but this feels more like confirming rather than proving. Since I'm pretty new to this quantum mechanic discipline, I would prefer a simple proof, and if there is no simple proof that is more of a proof than a confirmation of the statement, then I have probably already answered the question in the way intended.

Thanks //F

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have the proof. Your "confirming" stands for proving.

Thanks for your answer. I came here now to actually post that I found it to be the desired solution :p

I was not too satisfied finding out that I already had come up with the answer according to the solutions manual, since I prefer to start at the opposite end and prove the statement without using the fact that I know where I should end up after carrying through the proving process.

The Schroedinger equation can't be proven, I know that. But the problem I was asked to solve was just about the mathematical representation of the S.E. so I gave it a shot B-)

1. What is a linear combination of two solutions of the simplified Schrödinger equation?

A linear combination of two solutions of the simplified Schrödinger equation refers to a mathematical operation in which two solutions of the equation are added or subtracted from each other, with each solution multiplied by a constant coefficient. This results in a new solution that satisfies the same equation.

2. Why is a linear combination of two solutions of the simplified Schrödinger equation important?

A linear combination of two solutions is important because it allows us to find new solutions to the simplified Schrödinger equation by combining known solutions. This can help in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their future states.

3. How is a linear combination of two solutions of the simplified Schrödinger equation calculated?

To calculate a linear combination, we first find the coefficients that will be multiplied to each solution. These coefficients can be chosen arbitrarily or determined by certain conditions. We then multiply each solution by its respective coefficient and add or subtract them to obtain the new solution.

4. Can a linear combination of two solutions of the simplified Schrödinger equation result in a non-solution?

No, a linear combination of two solutions of the simplified Schrödinger equation will always result in a new solution that satisfies the equation. This is because the equation is linear, meaning that the sum or difference of two solutions is also a solution.

5. What is the significance of a linear combination of two solutions of the simplified Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Schrödinger equation is used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. A linear combination of two solutions allows us to describe the state of a system as a combination of other states, giving us a more complete understanding of its behavior.