1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear dependence/independence

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    Given that and u||v, v is not parallel with w and z= −3u state (with reasons) whether the following vectors are linearly dependent with u.

a) -2v -> LD since u is parallel with v, u must be also parallel with 2v

b) 3w -> LI since u is parallel with v and v isn't parallel with w, w is also not parallel with u

c) 4z -> LD since u is parallel with v and v is parallel with z (z is just a scalar mutliple of u anyways), z must be parallel with u

d) 3v + 4z -> LD since v and z are parallel with each other and both are parallel with u, any combination of v and z is parallel with u

can someone check these for me? the coefficients infront of the vectors have no real siginificance right?, there just scalar multiples? if they do, then i screwed up big time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2006 #2
    different topic (division of a line) but i don't want to pollute the board with new threads.

1. State the ratio into which A divides BC. Indicate whether the division is internal or external.

a) BA = 2/3(BC)

is this question worded right? because you get BA/BC = 2/3 which really means B divides AC externally in the ratio 2:3. also, usually if C divides AB externally, the ratio would be AC:CB, which means one of them is negative. that's the second problem with this question even if the wording is incorrect.

4. Jun 7, 2006 #3
    For the first question, I don't find anything wrong with your answers.
    Remember that a scalar coefficient in front of a vector, simply scales the vector by some measure while maintaining its direction .

For the second question, if you are not talking of vectors, but merely scalars or line segments, both the answers are possible . However if it is vectors the situation changes and there is only one answer .
    Before I explain, could you please clarify further .

5. Jun 7, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand why you are worrying about "B divides AC externally" or "C divides AB externally". The problem asked in what ratio A divides BC. Clearly, A is 2/3 of the way from B to C and so divides BC 2 to 1. (BA is twice as long as AC)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  6. Jun 7, 2006 #5
    HallsofIvy: yes thanks for clarifying, i needed to draw a diagram to visualize.

B______________A______C

it would look something like that i suppose.

7. Jun 7, 2006 #6
    It can also be something like

A________B_______________C

Note that in this case too BA = 2/3 BC and division is external and in which case AB/BC = (2/3)/(1+2/3) = 2/5 .Thus both internal and external division are possible as I said in my earlier post.
    Now had it been
    [tex]\vec{BA} = \frac{2}{3}\vec{BC}[/tex]
    the situation would have been different .
    Can you see how ? ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?