Linear diff eq - correctly done?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a linear differential equation of the form xy'-2y=x^{2} by using the integrating factor method. The equation is rewritten in standard form and the integrating factor is determined. The solution is then obtained by multiplying both sides of the equation by the integrating factor and integrating both sides. The final solution is y= x^{2}ln|x|+cx^{2}, which is verified by taking its derivative.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

Solve the linear differential equation:

[tex] xy'-2y=x^{2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

If you have a linear differential equation of the form:

[tex] y'+P(x)y=Q(x) [/tex]

then your integrating factor is:

[tex] I(x)=e^{\int P(x) dx} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we divide both sides by x then the equation is in standard form:

[tex] y' - \frac {2y}{x} = x [/tex]

where

[tex] P(x)=-\frac{2}{x} [/tex]

thus:

[tex] I(x)=e^{\int -\frac{2}{x} dx} = e^{-2\int\frac{1}{x}dx}= e^{-2ln|x|}=x^{-2} [/tex]

so we then multiple both sides of the diff eq by I(x):

[tex] x^{-2}y'-2x^{-3}y=\frac{1}{x} [/tex]

which is:

[tex] \frac {d}{dx}(x^{-2}y)=\frac{1}{x} [/tex]

if we the integrate both sides:

[tex] x^{-2}y=ln|x|+c [/tex]

therefore:

[tex] y= x^{2}ln|x|+cx^{2} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Your solution is easy enough to check. Substitute your solution for y and take its derivative. When you evaluate xy' - 2y, you should get x2.

1. What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that contains derivatives of a dependent variable and the dependent variable itself, where the derivatives are only of the first degree and there are no products or powers of the dependent variable.

2. What is the correct way to solve a linear differential equation?

The correct way to solve a linear differential equation is to first isolate the derivative term, then integrate both sides of the equation and add a constant to the right-hand side. Finally, solve for the dependent variable to obtain the general solution.

3. How can I check if my solution to a linear differential equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the solution into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use initial conditions or boundary conditions to verify the solution.

4. Can a linear differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a linear differential equation contains a constant, and different values of this constant can result in different solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear differential equations?

Linear differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to describe various physical and economic systems.