1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Fractional Transformation - find the formula

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    http://math.sfsu.edu/federico/Clase/Math350.S15/linea.JPG [Broken] 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The picture below represents the map from a "green projective line" to a "red projective line." It takes the "green points" 1,3,7,-11 to the "red points" 0,6,10,20, respectively as shown by the ruler. Let f be the corresponding linear fractional, so f(1) = 0, f(3) = 6, f(7) = 10, f(-11) = 20. Find a formula for the "red point" f(x) on the ruler where the "green point" x lands.

2. Relevant equations
    a linear fractional is where f(x) = (ax+b)/(cx+d) where ad-bc is not equal to 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First a did a system of equations:
    (a(1) + b) / ( c(1) + d ) = 0
    (a(3) +b) / ( c(3) + d )= 6
    (a(7) +b) / ( c(7) + d ) = 10
    (a(-11) +b) / (c(-11) + d )= 20

Thinking I could solve for a,b,c,d. However if I get all the letters in terms of let's say d and solve, this becomes nonsensical, since something d over something d is a number (the d's reduce) , and I'm left with a number = another number.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Since you have a fraction, you can choose either a or c to be 1. So, choose c = 1. The first equation says a⋅1 + b = 0, so b = -a. That's two variables accounted for. Now the rest is easy...

4. May 14, 2015 #3
    Choosing a or c to be 1 (or any number) seems to be an invalid assumption since even this is a ratio of a sum not just of a number over a number (choosing c=1 affects d, and choosing a=1 affects b), but please explain if I am incorrect. I chose c to be 1, then since I had everything else worked out in terms of d I plugged it all in. When I did, c=1 did not give f(3) = 6, so I solved for what c would be and got c = 1/6. Then, I tried to test this formula with f(7) = 10. It didn't work.

5. May 14, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

I am sorry, but you have made an error somewhere. One solution is: a = 15, b= -15, c=1, d=2.

About choosing one of the variables: A fundamental fact of fractions is that you can multiply or divide by the same number above or below. Therefore [itex] \frac{a\cdot x + b}{c\cdot x + d}=\frac{a(x+\frac{b}{a})}{a(\frac{c\cdot x}{a}+\frac{d}{a})}=\frac{c(\frac{a}{c}x+\frac{b}{c})}{c(x+\frac{d}{c})}[/itex] (of course, you cannot do that if the one you choose turns out to be 0).

6. May 20, 2015 #5
    Thanks very much Svein.

7. May 20, 2015 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Another quick simplification is to notice the case where f(x)=0

[tex]\frac{a+b}{c+d}=0[/tex]
    and for a fraction to equal 0, it means that the numerator = 0, hence

[tex]a+b=0[/tex]

[tex]a=-b\text{, or } b=-a[/tex]

Therefore you just have an equation of the form

[tex]f(x)=\frac{ax-a}{cx+d}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted