Linear Algebra - Linearity of a transformation

In summary: However, I realized I made a mistake while writing the transformation in the problem. It should have beenT(a+bx+cx²) = (a+1) + (b+1)x + (c+1)x²With that correction, it can be easily seen that T(cp1) = cT(p1) and T(p1+p2) = T(p1) + T(p2), proving that T is a linear transformation. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for pointing out my error.
SetepenSeth

Homework Statement

Let be T : ℙ2 → ℙ2 a polynomial transformation (degree 2)
Defined as

T(a+bx+cx²) = (a+1) + (b+1)x + (b+1)x²

It is a linear transformation?

Homework Equations

A transformation is linear if

T(p1 + p2) = T(p1) + T(p2)

And

T(cp1)= cT(p1) for any scalar c

The Attempt at a Solution

Let p1=(a+bx+cx²) and p2=(d+ex+fx²) degree 2 polynomials

T(p1+p2)= (a+d+1) + (b+e+1)x + (b+e+1)x²

However

T(p1) + T(p2)=[(a+1)+(d+1)] + [(b+1)+(e+1)]x + [(b+1)+(e+1)]x²
T(p1) + T(p2)=(a+d+2) + (b+e+2)x + (b+e+1)x²

So

T(p1+p2) ≠ T(p1) + T(p2)

Making it non linear transformation.

Yet, my answer key says it is linear, either the key is wrong or there is something here I am not understanding.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly, if ##P^2## is the second degree polynomials with the usual arithmetic, it is even easier to see your transformation is not linear because$$
T(0 + 0x + 0x^2) \ne 0 + 0x + 0x^2$$Are you sure the destination ##P^2## has the usual operations?

Indeed T(0) will not map it to P² zero, it will suffice to prove the answer key is wrong. Thank you.

SetepenSeth said:
Indeed T(0) will not map it to P² zero, it will suffice to prove the answer key is wrong. Thank you.
I'm guessing that the answer key is not wrong and what is wrong is that you don't have the standard addition, additive identity, etc. in your destination. That is why I asked you about the operations in the destination of your mapping. Are you sure that your destination has the same operations as your domain? If I am right in my guess, you shouldn't call the destination simply ##P^2##. You might be mapping ##(P^2,+,\cdot)## to ##(P^2,\oplus,*)## where the operations are different.

It is correct, both destination and domain have the usual operations.

1. What is linearity of a transformation in linear algebra?

Linearity of a transformation refers to the property of a transformation that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, if a transformation T is linear, then T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v) and T(ku) = kT(u), where u and v are vectors and k is a scalar.

2. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, you can check if it satisfies the two properties of linearity: preservation of addition and scalar multiplication. You can do this by plugging in vectors and scalars into the transformation and seeing if the resulting outputs follow the properties.

3. What is the significance of linearity in linear algebra?

Linearity is important in linear algebra because it allows us to simplify and solve complex systems of equations using matrices and vectors. It also helps us understand the relationship between different vectors and transformations.

4. Can a non-linear transformation be represented by a matrix?

No, a non-linear transformation cannot be represented by a matrix. Matrices are only used to represent linear transformations, as they are unable to preserve the operations of addition and scalar multiplication for non-linear functions.

5. How is linearity used in real-world applications?

Linearity is used in many real-world applications, such as computer graphics, data analysis, and engineering. For example, it is used in computer graphics to transform and manipulate images, and in data analysis to simplify and analyze large datasets. In engineering, linearity is used to model and solve complex systems and equations.