Linear function and is it linear?

In summary: So find the vector between the first two points and the vector between the first and third points. Take the cross product of these two vectors. This resulting vector should be parallel to both of the original vectors. If it is, then the function is linear.In summary, to determine if the function f is linear, we need to find the vectors between the given points and take the cross product of them. If this resulting vector is parallel to the original vectors, then the function is linear. This method is based on the concept of parallelism and can be found in further detail on Wikipedia.
multicalcprob
I had to find an equation of a linear function z=c+mx+ny whose graph intersects the xy plane in the line y=2x+2 and contains the point (1,2,2)

I got the answer as z=2x-y+2

Now I have to see if the function f which satisfies f(0,0)=0, f(2,0)=3 and f(5,0)=6 linear? and explain it.

I have no clue what to do now. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the vectors between the three points given and take the cross product of them. Use this resulting vector and one of the given points, you can determine the equation of a plane. If this equation satisfies all three given points, the function f is linear.
You may want to refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear for the necessary explanation.

multicalcprob said:
I had to find an equation of a linear function z=c+mx+ny whose graph intersects the xy plane in the line y=2x+2 and contains the point (1,2,2)

I got the answer as z=2x-y+2
Yes, that is correct.

Now I have to see if the function f which satisfies f(0,0)=0, f(2,0)=3 and f(5,0)=6 linear? and explain it.

do (0,0,0), (2,0,3) and (5,0,6) lie on a straight line? If so the vectors form (0,0,0) to (2,0,3) and from (0,0,0) to (5,0,6) must be parallel. That means one vector must be a multiple of the other.

1. What is a linear function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that can be represented in the form y = mx + b, where m and b are constants and x is the independent variable. It is called a linear function because the graph of the function is a straight line.

2. How can I determine if a function is linear or not?

A function is linear if it follows the basic form of y = mx + b. This means that the function must have a constant rate of change and a constant y-intercept. If a function does not follow this form, then it is not linear.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear function?

The main difference between a linear and a non-linear function is that a linear function has a constant rate of change, while a non-linear function does not. This means that the graph of a linear function is a straight line, while the graph of a non-linear function is a curved line.

4. Can a linear function have a negative slope?

Yes, a linear function can have a negative slope. The slope of a linear function is represented by the m value in the equation y = mx + b. If the m value is negative, then the function will have a negative slope.

5. How can I use linear functions in real-life situations?

Linear functions can be used to model and solve various real-life situations. For example, they can be used to calculate the cost of a product based on the number of units produced, or to determine the distance traveled based on the speed and time of travel. They are also commonly used in financial and economic analyses.