Linear operator, linear functional difference?

In summary: Still, you are right about the dimension of the dual space of a vector space V with dimension n is n.
Goodver
What is a difference between linear operator and linear functional?

Do I understand it correctly that linear operator is any operator that when applied on a vector from a vector space, gives again a vector from this vector space. And also obeys linearity conditions.

And linear functional is a vector, dot product of which with the vector from the vector space gives again a vector from this vector space. And also linearity conditions are met.

So, linear functional is a vector and linear operator is not a vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let V be a vector space defined on a field F(don't worry about the word "field", just think about real numbers). A linear operator is a linear map from V to V. But a linear functional is a linear map from V to F. So linear functionals are not vectors. In fact they form a vector space called the dual space to V which is denoted by [itex] V^* [/itex]. But when we define a bilinear form on the vector space, we can use it to associate a vector with a functional because for a vector v, [itex] \langle v, () \rangle: V \rightarrow F [/itex] is a functional in the dual space.

Last edited:
Likes Goodver
Shyan,
Suppose we have a vector space V(x1,x2,x3) where x1,x2,x3 ∈ R
And a vector u = <1, 2, 3>

Then for instance:

Linear operator: D(u) = 2 * u , u ∈ V
Linear functional: D(u) = <1, 1, 1> ⋅ u , u ∈ V

?

Goodver said:
Shyan,
Suppose we have a vector space V(x1,x2,x3) where x1,x2,x3 ∈ R
And a vector u = <1, 2, 3>

Then for instance:

Linear operator: D(u) = 2 * u , u ∈ V
Linear functional: D(u) = <1, 1, 1> ⋅ u , u ∈ V

?
Yeah, that's right!
But you should note that functionals don't have to be defined in terms of vectors. What I explained is a way of making a correspondence(which technically is called isomorphism) between vectors and functionals.
I can define a functional as [itex] \omega(u)=u_1+u_2+u_3 [/itex] which, by your construction, is associated with the vector <1,1,1>, because we have [itex] \omega(u)=D(u) [/itex].
I also recommend you to read the pages that PeroK gave the links to. Because I just answered the question while there are more things to it!

Likes Goodver
Thank you,

Is it by definition that the inner product of functional with the vector from V has to be a value from the field of the vector space (in our case real number)?

Or these can also be considered as functional for the space V, since they outcome a real number which is an instance from the filed of V?

1. ω(u) = u1
2. ω(u) = u2 + 5
3. ω(u) = 0

Goodver said:
Is it by definition that the inner product of functional with the vector from V has to be a value from the field of the vector space (in our case real number)?
You take the inner product of two vectors, not a functional and a vector(See the link bilinear form above!).
Yes, its the definition of inner product to take two vectors and give a scalar(a member of the field)!
Goodver said:
Or these can also be considered as functional for the space V, since they outcome a real number which is an instance from the filed of V?

1. ω(u) = u1
2. ω(u) = u2 + 5
3. ω(u) = 0
These are functionals too.
I don't see any connection between your two questions that can make you use that "Or" between them!

As far as I understand.

By definition, dual space for vector space V is a vector space consisting of all linear functionals for vector space V.

If a vector space given by components x1,x2 ... xn, then linear functional can be written as a function
16e3e6a4fb2d115b1c23205ec57499cf.png

Or it can be written in a matrix form:

f15700bc429adc9ab89a1ea61c8255a9.png

From here, we have a vector space of row vectors [a1 ... an] which form a dual space. (Am I correct?)
Which implies that number of vector dimensions n must be the same for dual vector space and actual vector space.

If n = 3, then

In this case:

1. ω(u) = u1 + u2 + u3

We have <1, 1, 1> vector in a dual vector space, right?

But what are the vectors in the dual vector space formed by these functionals then?

1. ω(u) = u1
2. ω(u) = u2 + 5
3. ω(u) = 0

Last edited:
Goodver said:
From here, we have a vector space of row vectors [a1 ... an] which form a dual space. (Am I correct?)
Yeah, that's correct.
Goodver said:
1. ω(u) = u1 + u2 + u3

We have <1, 1, 1> vector in a dual vector space, right?
Yes, this is correct too. But not completely. As I said, you should read some detailed text.

Goodver said:
But what are the vectors in the dual vector space formed by these functionals then?

1. ω(u) = u1
2. ω(u) = u2 + 5
3. ω(u) = 0
[itex]
1. (1 \ \ 0 \ \ 0) \\
3. (0 \ \ 0 \ \ 0)
[/itex]
The second one is not a linear functional:
[itex]
\omega(u+v)=(u+v)_1+5=u_1+v_1+5 \neq u_1+5+v_1+5=\omega(u)+\omega(v)
[/itex]

Likes Goodver

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another in a linear fashion. This means that it preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the difference between a linear operator and a linear functional?

A linear operator acts on a vector in a vector space and produces another vector in the same space, while a linear functional takes in a vector and outputs a scalar value. Essentially, a linear functional is a linear map from a vector space to its underlying field.

3. How can linear operators be represented mathematically?

Linear operators can be represented as matrices or as a combination of matrices and vectors. The matrix representation is a convenient way to perform calculations involving linear operators.

4. What is the role of linear operators in differential equations?

Linear operators are essential in solving differential equations because they can transform a complicated differential equation into a simpler algebraic equation. This allows for easier manipulation and solution of the equation.

5. Can a linear operator be non-linear?

No, a linear operator by definition must preserve the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. If it does not, it is considered a non-linear operator.