Linear Transformation/Injective/Surjective

• Thread starter embury
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linear transformations and specifically focuses on a 2x3 matrix A being a linear transformation from R3 to R2. The conversation includes a discussion on whether A is injective (one-to-one) or surjective (onto) and the definitions of these terms are provided. The conversation also includes a question on finding a nonzero vector x such that Ax = 0 and whether a given vector b can be solved for in the equation Tx = b. The expert confirms that the system Tx = b is consistent if there exists x such that Tx = b and provides a summary of the conversation.
embury
I am extremely confused when it comes to linearly transformations and am not sure I entirely understand the concept. I have the following assignment question:

Consider the 2x3 matrix
A=
1 1 1
0 1 1
as a linear transformation from R3 to R2.
a) Determine whether A is a injective (one-to-one) function.
b) Determine whether A is a surjective (onto) function.

For a) I said that we need to solve Ax=0 and the matrix then looks like:

1 1 1 : 0
0 1 1 : 0

Since x3 is a free variable A cannot be injective.

For b) I have the matrix:
1 1 1 : *
0 1 1 : *
(note that it doesn't matter what * is)

This matrix is consistent so the matrix A is surjective.

Am I understanding this question correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definitions of injective and surjective?

AKG said:
Do you know the definitions of injective and surjective?
The definitions we were given are:

Injective: A linear transformation T: R^p -->R^m is injective (one to one) if and only if the equation Tx=0 has only the solution x=0.

Surjective: If T:R^p --> R^m is linear then T is surjective if and only if the system Tx=b is consistent for all vectors b in all real numbers m.

By "the system Tx = b is consistent" you mean "the equation Tx = b has a solution" i.e. "there exists x such that Tx = b"?

For part a), find a nonzero vector x such that Ax = 0.

For part b), given a vector b = (b1 b2)T (T denotes transpose), can you find a vector x = (x1 x2 x3)T such that Tx = b?

AKG said:
By "the system Tx = b is consistent" you mean "the equation Tx = b has a solution" i.e. "there exists x such that Tx = b"?

For part a), find a nonzero vector x such that Ax = 0.

For part b), given a vector b = (b1 b2)T (T denotes transpose), can you find a vector x = (x1 x2 x3)T such that Tx = b?
Thank you for your help, I think I understand. If not, I'll be back. :biggrin: Thanks again.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the algebraic structure of the original space. In other words, it takes inputs and produces outputs that maintain the same linear relationships between the elements.

2. What is an injective linear transformation?

An injective linear transformation is a function that maps distinct inputs to distinct outputs, meaning that no two elements in the input space are mapped to the same element in the output space. This is also known as a one-to-one mapping.

3. What is a surjective linear transformation?

A surjective linear transformation is a function that maps the entire input space onto the entire output space, meaning that every element in the output space has at least one corresponding element in the input space. This is also known as an onto mapping.

4. How can you determine if a linear transformation is injective?

A linear transformation is injective if and only if the null space, or kernel, of the transformation is empty. In other words, the only vector that is mapped to the zero vector is the zero vector itself. This can be checked by solving for the null space using matrix operations.

5. How can you determine if a linear transformation is surjective?

A linear transformation is surjective if and only if the range, or image, of the transformation is equal to the entire output space. This can be checked by comparing the dimension of the range to the dimension of the output space. If they are equal, the transformation is surjective.