Linear Transformations (T o S?)

In summary, the conversation discusses two linear transformations T and S, their matrices, and the calculation of T o S and S o T. The image of a given line under S o T is also calculated.
dvvv

Homework Statement

Let T : R2 -> R2 be the linear transformation defined by the formula
T(x, y) = (2x + 3y,−x − y).

Let S : R2 -> R2 be the linear transformation whose matrix is
3 −1
2 4

i. Write down the matrix of T.
ii. Calculate the matrices of the linear transformations T o S and S o T, indicating which is which.
iii. Calculate the image of the line L whose equation is x + y = 2, under the transformation S o T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i. I said
2 3
-1 -1

Then for the next parts I don't know how you get ToS or SoT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us what the definition for ToS and SoT ?

Well I can't seem to find any definition, but if you had ToS(u), that would be equal to T(S(u)). Similarly SoT(u) would be S(T(u)) I assume.

Thats right! Now, you agree that action of T (or S) on any (x,y) can be written as

[tex]T(x,y) = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 2 & 3 \\ -1 & -1 \end{array} \right] \left[\begin{array}{cc} x \\ y \end{array} \right] [/tex]

One can write a similar action of S. Action of T on (x,y) gives another vector (x',y'). So SoT(x,y) would mean S(T(x,y)) = S(x',y') = (x'', y'').

Now can you write the matrix for SoT?

I got
12 10
-5 -3

I just multiplied T by S. I wasn't sure what to do since it's just ToS not ToS(x,y) or something like that.

Yes, that's ToS. I hope that's what you meant to calculate?

Oh well I thought I was getting SoT but I got confused apparently. I get it now. SoT is
7 4
0 -2
edit: made a mistake, I'll fix it in a second.

Kindly check the calculation. The answer is
7 10
0 2

Yeah sorry about that.

For the last part I did
[tex]SoT(x,y) = \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 7 & 10 \\ 0 & 2 \end{array} \right] \left[\begin{array}{cc} x \\ y \end{array} \right] [/tex]
and I got (7x+10y, 2y). I substituted that into x+y=2 and I got 7x + 12y = 2.
Is that right?

No. See, after applying, you move to a new space (x',y'). Your equations give you

x' = 7x + 10y
y' = 2y

What you are required to do is to find the relation b/w x' and y' using that between x and y.

x = (-2x' + y')/7
y = 3x' + y'

I substituted that into x+y=2 and I got
19x' + 8y' = 14

edit: made a mistake,..one sec

x = (2x' - y')/14
y = y'/2

Sub'd in and got x' + 3y' = 14

Please check your algebra - I got 2x'-3y' = 28

OK. I keep making stupid mistakes. Thanks for all your help.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another vector space in a way that preserves the structure of the original vector space. In other words, the transformation maintains the linearity of the original vector space.

2. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that can be represented by a straight line or a plane, while a non-linear transformation is a function that cannot be represented by a straight line or a plane. In other words, a linear transformation follows the rules of a linear equation (y = mx + b), while a non-linear transformation does not.

3. How are linear transformations used in real life?

Linear transformations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. Examples of real-life applications include calculating the growth rate of a population, predicting future trends in the stock market, and creating computer-generated images.

4. What is the matrix representation of a linear transformation?

The matrix representation of a linear transformation is a matrix that represents the transformation of one vector space to another. This matrix can be used to perform calculations and transformations on the original vector space. The number of rows and columns in the matrix correspond to the dimensions of the original and transformed vector spaces, respectively.

5. How can I determine if a transformation is linear or non-linear?

A transformation is linear if it follows the properties of a linear equation, such as the preservation of linearity and the application of scalar multiplication. To determine if a transformation is linear, you can perform a simple test by checking if the transformation follows these properties.