Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearity of A Hermitian Operator

1. Aug 31, 2007 #1
    Can anybody give me a hint about how can i show that if an operator is linear then it's hermitian conjugate is linear. Thanks for your help from now.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know the context, but if you have an inner product perhaps you can try to show that
    [tex]\langle \psi | T^* (\alpha \phi + \beta \psi) \rangle = \langle \psi | \alpha T^* \phi + \beta T^* \psi \rangle [/tex]
    for any [itex]\psi, \phi, \chi \in \operatorname{domain} T[/itex], which would prove the linearity of [itex]T^*[/itex]?

4. Aug 31, 2007 #3
    i want to say that how can i show if [tex]A[/tex] is linear , [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] is linear.i dont know where can i start.please help.

5. Aug 31, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2 questions for the OP:
    * How do you define the domain of definition of the adjoint of a (possibly unbounded) densly defined linear operator in a Hilbert space ?
    * What is the definition of linearity for an unbounded operator in a Hilbert space ?

I asked these 2 qtns because we want to the give the proof in the most general case, namely when the operator is unbounded but linear and densly defined.

And btw, this is a purely mathematical problem, it has nothing to do with quantum mechanics.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  6. Aug 31, 2007 #5
    Explaining

if A is lineer operator

A[af(x)+bg(x)]=aAf(x) + bAg(x)

x is the parameter of functions in Hilbert space

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  7. Aug 31, 2007 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who's "x" ?

8. Sep 1, 2007 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And how is [itex]A^\dagger[/itex] defined?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?