1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearly Independent R^3 -> Linearly Independent R^4

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    Standard Matrix for R^3 -> R^4 where if domain is Linearly Independent so is codomain

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

5. Suppose T : R^3 -> R^4 is a linear transformation with the following property:
    For any linearly independent vectors v_1, v_2 and v_3 in R^3, the images T(v_1),
    T(v_2) and T(v_3) are linearly independent in R4.
    (a) Give an example of such a linear transformation. Give its standard matrix and the
    reduced row echelon form of this matrix.
    (b) Work out all possible shapes of the reduced row echelon form for such a matrix.
    Use the symbols 0, 1, and * where * indicates an entry which may take on the value
    of any real number.

2. Relevant equations

No relevant equations. The linear transformation must be given as a standard matrix with dimensions 3 * 4 since that would lead to a vector in R^4.

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I know that since the vectors are linearly independent, the reduced form of both vectors must have pivots in each column. I reasoned that the function must be injective because each vector in R^3 can only correspond to 1 vector in R^4 but there are more vectors in R^4 than R^3.

This question seems confusing and I can't put my thoughts together. This is not a very advanced class (it is just a standard freshman linear algebra course for scientists and scientists).
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

If v = (a, b, c), try T(v) = (a, b, c, 0).
  4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    Thank you for your response. After more thinking I was able to find that the matrix must be linearly independent (pivot in every column) and that when it is row reduced, the matrix would be:

[ 1 0 0 ]
    [ 0 1 0 ]
    [ 0 0 1 ]
    [ 0 0 0 ]
  5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

Don't you means that the columns in the matrix must be linearly independent?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook