1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Link redshift with luminosity distance?

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Plot luminosity distance and redshift z

2. Relevant equations
    $$d_L(z)=(1+z)r(z)$$
    where [itex]d_L(z)[/itex] is luminosity distance and r(z) is the comoving distance.
    and we have
    $$r(z)= \frac{H_0^{-1}}{\sqrt\Omega_K}*sinn[\sqrt{\Omega_K}\int_0^z\frac{dz'}{\sqrt{\Omega_M(1+z')^3}}]$$
    where [itex]\Omega_K[/itex]is a measure of openness or closedness of the universe, sinn(x)=x in flat universe.
    Suppose we consider a universe that is both flat and matter dominant, where [itex]\Omega_K=0[/itex],and [itex]\Omega_M=1[/itex].
    3. The attempt at a solution
    From the information given we know that
    $$H_0d_L(z)=(1+z)\int_0^6\frac{dz'}{\sqrt{(1+z')^3}}$$
    but I don't know how do I deal with z' when I plot it in, for example python? Since I don't know what z' equals to

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

z' is not equal to anything. It's what's called a dummy variable, like a looping variable in Python.
    Nor do you need to program the integral calculation. Just work out the definite integral and you'll get a number that does not change with z. Work out the number once, then hard-code it into your program as a constant.

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    Oh so you mean just work out
    $$\int_0^6\frac{dz'}{\sqrt{(1+z')^3}}$$
    which is approximate 1.24, then just plot
    $$H_0d_L(z)=1.24(1+z)?$$

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted