Redshift of non-comoving galaxy

In summary, for a source moving radially in a flat FRW universe, the redshift observed by a comoving observer is given by the equation: $$\frac{\lambda_{obs}}{\lambda_{em}}=\sqrt{\frac{1+v}{1-v}}\frac{a(t_{obs})}{a(t_{em})}$$This can be derived by considering the frequency or wavelength observed by a comoving observer at the same place, and then applying the usual scale factor for distant observers.
wabbit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In a flat FRW universe, for a source moving radially at velocity v (at emission time) relative to the local comoving frame, what is the redshift observed by a comoving observer?

Homework Equations

##c=1##
Proper time to cosmological time ratio ##\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\sqrt{1-v^2}##
Redshift of comoving source ##\frac{\lambda_{obs}}{\lambda_{em}}=\frac{a(t_{obs})}{a(t_{em})}##
Note : Abusing terminology here, the "redshifts" here are quoted as ##S=z+1## intead of ##z##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Based of the infinitesimal motion of the source and on light paths, I get $$\frac{\lambda_{obs}}{\lambda_{em}^{com}}=(1+v)\frac{a(t_{obs})}{a(t_{em})}$$
This is the redshift between ##\lambda_{em}^{com}## measured at emission time in a comoving frame, and ##\lambda_{obs}## measured by the comoving receiver.
And combining this with ##\frac{\lambda_{em}^{com}}{\lambda_{em}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}##, the total redshift is
$$\frac{\lambda_{obs}}{\lambda_{em}}=\sqrt{\frac{1+v}{1-v}}\frac{a(t_{obs})}{a(t_{em})}$$

Can someone confirm if this correct, and if not point to the error? This is not exactly homework, rather a calculation I did since I wondered about that case, and I didn't find the relevant formula online to check against.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can split the problem in two parts. Find the frequency or wavelength observed by a comoving observer at (nearly) the same place, then apply the usual scale factor for distant observers. And the result is exactly what you got if the object is moving away.

Thanks - Indeed, I didn't see it this way, the result is just a Doppler shift times an expansion shift, that's a much better way to get it than what I did !

What is redshift of non-comoving galaxy?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which the light from an object appears to have a longer wavelength than it actually is. In the context of non-comoving galaxies, redshift refers to the increase in the observed wavelength of light from a galaxy that is not moving away from us at a constant rate.

What causes the redshift of non-comoving galaxies?

The redshift of non-comoving galaxies can be caused by the expansion of the universe, which stretches the wavelength of light as it travels through space. It can also be caused by the Doppler effect, where the motion of a galaxy away from us can increase the wavelength of light that we observe.

How is redshift of non-comoving galaxies measured?

The redshift of non-comoving galaxies is measured by comparing the observed wavelength of light from a galaxy to its known rest wavelength. This can be done using spectroscopy, which breaks down the light into its component wavelengths and allows for precise measurements of the redshift.

What can the redshift of non-comoving galaxies tell us about the universe?

The redshift of non-comoving galaxies can tell us about the expansion rate of the universe and the distance of the galaxy from Earth. It can also provide insight into the age and evolution of the universe, as well as the distribution of matter and energy within it.

Can the redshift of non-comoving galaxies change over time?

Yes, the redshift of non-comoving galaxies can change over time. This can occur due to the changing expansion rate of the universe, as well as the gravitational interactions between galaxies. It is also possible for the redshift to change due to the motion of the galaxy itself, which can affect the observed wavelength of light.