1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linux Distro suggestions - USB drive

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    I'm picking up an 8gb of 16gb flash drive. I'm planning on installing a linux distro on it, since I find myself using liveCDs so much anymore.

Any suggestions? I've used puppy and DSL before, but since I'm not really limited spacewise I'd like to use something a little bit more feature-rich. I was considering backtrack, since I would probably install a lot of the networking stuff anyway.. but I'm still undecided. I'd like it to work with relatively little configuration on a wide variety of machines. I've considered ubuntu but for some reason it just feels cumbersome to me, and I think that might be made worse on such a slow storage medium. Customizability and portability are most important to me, I would like to be able to use this on pretty much any machine I come across.

Thanks in advance :).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Puppy is still great - and it has packet management so you can add as many more apps as you like.
    You should be able to install eg. ubuntu directly - it's just another disk drive!
    You probably want to do a few things like disable swap partitions etc.

4. Jun 12, 2008 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mandriva is advertising a usb flash version of their code.....look into it, you might be able to get a version free in a few months.

5. Jun 14, 2008 #4
    I highly recommend the new backtrack beta!
    It works so well and has got an endless list of networking tools preinstalled.
    Knoppix is a good choice as well, but from experience I definitely would pick backtrack.

6. Jun 14, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

I'll try the new backtrack beta, I like the idea of not having to install/configure all the networking tools.

7. Jun 14, 2008 #6
    No problem.
    If you use WPA on your wireless network, I must say be prepared to do a bit of work or simply just use WEP. I couldn't get my wireless card to work with WPA for ages (something to do with the WPA_supplicant) so I just used WEP and it works perfectly.
    I'm running it off a 4gb usb key and its great, can carry it around in my pocket all the time. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?