How to build my own Linux Distro?

• Thread starter LinuxMicrosoftMCSA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Linux
In summary: Hi, I just heard of SUSE Studio and already compiled my first Linux distro. But I have a problem now. I keep getting an error message saying: "No Data for Home". How do I resolve this so I can test out my new distro?The error message might be because you're not using the home directory where SUSE Studio is expecting to find the user data. Check to make sure that the user data file is present and owned by the user SUSE Studio is trying to access it as. If it's not, you can try to change the ownership of the file.
LinuxMicrosoftMCSA
Hi,
I'm interested in creating my own distro of Linux. I need help on where I start though. I don't have a programming degree, but I might be able to develop it myself in my off hours if I self-educate. Thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org
You may find help on the linux forums. There are many things expected of a distro, some by convention alone. There may also be reluctance by users of trying a disro from a new, previously unknown, source. The linux forums can advise you on those questions before you get into technical details.

Hi, I just heard of SUSE Studio and already compiled my first Linux distro. But I have a problem now. I keep getting an error message saying: "No Data for Home". How do I resolve this so I can test out my new distro?

You're going to have to learn to ask better questions: telling us the error message is half the story. The other half is telling us exactly what you were doing when you got this error. (And "running SUSE Studio" is not nearly detailed enough)

Also, I wouldn't consider SUSE Studio as "creating a distro". What it is doing is picking SUSE as a base and then allowing various packages to be included or excluded. Pretty much every distribution does this. When I download and install a new package in Centos, I haven't really created a new distribution.

Likes QuantumQuest
If you're there for the learning and don't mind picking the hard core path: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/.
LFS, or Linux From Scratch, can help you accomplish your goal.
It's not a matter of hours at this point, but of weeks, months or even years.

Likes QuantumQuest and Vanadium 50
LinuxMicrosoftMCSA said:
Hi,
I'm interested in creating my own distro of Linux. I need help on where I start though. I don't have a programming degree, but I might be able to develop it myself in my off hours if I self-educate. Thank you.

If you want to create something of a minimal distro, in order to use it for some specific tasks without many bells and whistles or other unneeded stuff for you and you're not a programmer or at least, a Linux power user, I'd recommend installing and customizing an already existent distro - there are too many out there to choose from.

On the other hand, if your goal is learning Linux through experimentation - which is very good, I'd recommend going for LFS as @fluidistic says.

1. How do I choose a Linux distribution as the base for my own distro?

Choosing a base distribution for your own Linux distro depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include Debian, Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. Consider factors such as package selection, community support, and ease of customization when making your decision.

2. Do I need to know programming to build my own Linux distro?

While some knowledge of programming can be helpful, it is not necessary to build your own Linux distro. Many tools and resources are available to assist with the process, and a basic understanding of Linux command line is sufficient for most customization.

3. How do I customize the appearance of my Linux distro?

There are many ways to customize the appearance of your Linux distro, such as changing the desktop environment, theme, and icons. You can also create your own custom wallpapers and icons to give your distro a unique look.

4. Can I include proprietary software in my Linux distro?

It is generally not recommended to include proprietary software in your Linux distro, as it goes against the open-source principles of the Linux community. However, if you do choose to include proprietary software, make sure to comply with all relevant licenses and give proper credit to the original creators.

5. How can I test and distribute my Linux distro?

There are several ways to test and distribute your Linux distro. You can use virtualization software to test it on your own computer, or use a service like Distroshare to create a live ISO image for distribution. You can also publish your distro on popular platforms like GitHub or SourceForge.