Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lipschitz function and Baire Category Theorem

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    hey,
    I need to show, using Baire Category Theorem, that there exits a continuous function
    f: [0,1] to R , that isn't Lipschitz on the interval [r,s] for every 0<=r<s<=1 .

I defined the set A(r,s) to be all the continuous functions that are lipschitz on the interval [r,s]. I showed that A(r,s) is closed , but i'm having trouble showing it's nowhere dense.

help please! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So, you must show that A(r,s) has empty interior. So take an f in A(r,s). Try to find a g arbitrary close to f such that [itex]g\notin A(r,s)[/itex]. This will show that f is not in the interior of A(r,s).
    Note that our g will always be uniform continuous (since it is continuous on a compact domain). So you must somehow use a function that is uniform continuous but not Lipschitz. Do you know such a function?

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    sqrt(x), for example, is continuous but not lipschitz on [0,1], but i don't know how to continue from here.

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you see why it is not Lipschitz?? Can you do something similar on [r,s]??
    And can you modify the function such that it is close to f?

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5
    it's not Lipschitz because it's first derivative isn't bounded close to 0.
    o.k., so given f and a>0, define g as follows: g=sqrt[x-r] in the interval [r,a^2/4+r], g=0 for x<=r and g=a/2 for x>=a^2/4+r. g is not Lipschitz on [r,s]. define h=f+g.
    h isn't Lipschitz because g isn't Lipschitz and d(f,h)<a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook