Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Liquid Scintillation Counter using U-238 to detect neutrons

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    I'm trying to make a LSC with U-238 (non-aqueous form) dipped in the scintillating cocktail to detect fast neutrons (no thermals or epithermals, only fast) from a Cf-252 source. How do I calculate the wavelength emerging from the cocktail (assuming U-238 does not react with the cocktail)? Also, how do I calculate the light collection efficiency, and the number of photoelectrons hitting the photocathode?

All the help that I can get, much much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Apr 17, 2016 #3

DrSteve

Gold Member

I don't understand the geometry. Don't the neutrons get moderated in the LSC before absorption in the 238?

You can't calculate the wavelength emerging from the cocktail, but you can look it up in a paper, or it may be built into some of the modeling programs like PENELOPE or GEANT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted