Liquid Scintillation Counter w/ fast neutron detectin isotop

In summary, the conversation discusses using a LSC with U-238 (non-aqueous form) dipped in a scintillating cocktail to detect fast neutrons from a Cf-252 source. The person is asking about calculating the wavelength emerging from the cocktail, the light collection efficiency, and the number of photoelectrons hitting the photocathode. They also inquire about the expected emissions from the scintillator, whether they have access to a spectrometer, and the geometry of the source and scintillator with respect to the PM detector.
Priyo
I'm trying to make a LSC with U-238 (non-aqueous form) dipped in the scintillating cocktail to detect fast neutrons (no thermals or epithermals, only fast) from a Cf-252 source. How do I calculate the wavelength emerging from the cocktail (assuming U-238 does not react with the cocktail)? Also, how do I calculate the light collection efficiency, and the number of photoelectrons hitting the photocathode?

All the help that I can get, much much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does one know the expect emissions from the scintillator?

Does one have a spectrometer or access to one?

What is the geometry of the source with respect to the scintillator, and of the scintillator to the PM detector?

Thanks for your reply!

The expect emissions are about 350 nm wavelength.

I have access to The PMT, oscilloscope, counter/timer.

The source is Cf-252, in a reactor beam port, and the scintillator is a 1.5 in X 1.5 in diameter vial, attached with optical grease to a photo multiplier tube.

What is a liquid scintillation counter?

A liquid scintillation counter is a scientific instrument used to measure the amount of energy released by radioactive materials. It works by converting the energy from radioactive particles into flashes of light, which can then be detected and measured.

How does a liquid scintillation counter work?

The liquid scintillation counter contains a liquid scintillator, which is a substance that emits light when excited by radiation. When a radioactive sample is placed in the counter, the emitted particles interact with the liquid scintillator and produce flashes of light. These flashes are then detected by a photomultiplier tube and converted into an electrical signal, which can be measured and recorded.

What is the purpose of fast neutron detection in a liquid scintillation counter?

Fast neutron detection in a liquid scintillation counter allows for the measurement of neutron radiation, which is produced by nuclear reactions and can be harmful to living organisms. This feature is especially useful in nuclear research and radiation protection.

What types of isotopes can be detected with a liquid scintillation counter?

Liquid scintillation counters are capable of detecting various types of isotopes, including alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. They can also detect certain types of X-rays and fast neutrons.

What are the advantages of using a liquid scintillation counter?

Some advantages of using a liquid scintillation counter include its high sensitivity, wide range of detectable isotopes, and ability to measure both small and large sample sizes. Additionally, liquid scintillation counters are relatively easy to use and provide quick results, making them a valuable tool in scientific research and radiation monitoring.