Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lisa Randall on Coast to Coast Sat. 2/25

1. Feb 24, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2006/02/25.html

Joining Art Bell is Prof. of Physics at Harvard University, Lisa Randall, who will be talking about her book Warped Passages, and the fascinating idea that there may be an extra dimension just a few inches away from us.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2
    Since you brought it up, that's where I'm posting from now: just a few inches away from you.

4. Feb 24, 2006 #3

OOoooh. She's the attractive one too :tongue2:

5. Feb 24, 2006 #4
  6. Feb 24, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I heard her speak on her models at Laurence University in Appleton WI last month. She is indeed attractive and very, very smart. That's a good call by Bell, who I don't usually have much good to say for.

7. Feb 24, 2006 #6
    Brilliant is always important :tongue2:

8. Feb 24, 2006 #7
    This is what I was wondering about: is it a good call for her to become associated with him?

9. Feb 24, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm surprised he was able to book her at all - but then again, she does have a book to promote. This appearance definitely won't hurt sales.

10. Feb 24, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ten million listeners does help sales.

thanks MIH, I hadn't checked and often forget to these days. [Noory is such a dweeb]

11. Feb 24, 2006 #10
  12. Feb 24, 2006 #11
    so most physicists feel that she looks great. How come then she never got married? Does it mean that she feels she is too smart for most of the harvard ph.d. men around her? Are female physicists who are not as attractive even more hopeless, since they're less attractive to men, yet they're equally selective because of their intellect?

13. Feb 24, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bell has quite a few respected physicists in his line up. If Brian Greene is willing who can really object? And note that even though many people have issues with Kaku, he has written one or two books that are required reading for some Ph.D. students. Also, Seth Shostak is a regular - considered a little fringe perhaps, but I think most scientists consider the SETI project worthy of the effort. I know there are at least several other physicists, and certainly a good number of respected scientists from other disciplines interviewed by Bell over the years. In fact, I found Bell through Kaku and not the UFO stuff. Of course that was a great surprise - Bell's shows was pretty much UFO central back then.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  14. Feb 24, 2006 #13
    maybe she's dating around and haven't found the one yet. who knows. why is this even an issue. if she feels she's too smart for most of the harvard phd men then i'd really be concerned about this kind of attitude but i don't know her, haven't spoken to her and haven't gone out on a date with her so i can't tell. but im sure she's not that shallow.

well you know even janet "the stormtrooper" reno has her admirers too. albeit from a smaller pool of men. i don't find j-lo attractive but im sure plenty of other guys do. they all have different kinds of men they attract and this goes to guys as well. how many tall, amazonian beauties do you see in the mall with a short guy who's so-so looking? beauty is subjective after all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  15. Feb 24, 2006 #14

Its just the brilliant women are so sexy by default, even if they aren't supermodels. Once they start talking theoretical physics and tensor fields, I'm done for.

16. Feb 24, 2006 #15
    sure that's fine, but all those are the superficial stuff after a while. id check to see if she has a good attitude, high interest level and if she stands by me.

17. Feb 24, 2006 #16

Wait what?

Its shallow if I find the fact that a woman is intelligent and my intellectual equal to be very attractive? Right, ok then. I'll go back to picking dates by cup size then I guess....:rolleyes:

18. Feb 25, 2006 #17
    Probably not fair of me to link to that one, it's the worst there was, the snapshot equivalent of a DMV photo.

19. Feb 25, 2006 #18
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the repercussions would be at all. It just makes me wonder if it's a good move. I can't tell.

20. Feb 25, 2006 #19
    If you will go long term with a girl you'd want somebody smarter than you with a good attitude and who's loyal.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  21. Feb 25, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's exactly where he wants you. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?