Literature value for standard enthalpy of formation of aqueous HCl

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 25K views
Barfolumu
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



This is not a problem, per se, because it is part of my Lab. We're calculating the standard enthalpy change of formation for solid Ammonium Chloride. To do this, we're using four separate rxns, and totaling their individual standard enthalpy change of formations. For two of these reactions we're using literature values, but I can not find the literature value for the standard enthalpy change of formation for aqueous Hydrogen Chloride online or in my book -- I can only find the lit value for gaseous Hydrogen Chloride. As far as I know, there is no way to convert one to the other, because these are determined experimentally, so I need to know the lit value for aqueous Hydrogen Chloride. Am I just missing something, or does anyone have a place where I can look this up?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Google and my textbook.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm doing this too and my lab manual says delta H for HCl (g)---> HCl (aq) = -75140 J/mol.

If you want it in the other direction, merely change the sign.
 
workerant said:
I'm doing this too and my lab manual says delta H for HCl (g)---> HCl (aq) = -75140 J/mol.

If you want it in the other direction, merely change the sign.

doh! of course. man, i feel sheepish now. thanks.