Little issue in Relativistic Quantum Physics

In summary, the mathematician wanted to prove that the two psi vectors are the same, and found that if he takes the absolute value of the difference between the two psi vectors, the result is the same as the psi vector that he started with.
StephvsEinst
Hey!
I wanted to prove that:

$$ P_L \bar{ \psi } = \bar{ \psi } P_R $$

And I want to know if I did it correctly.
$$ --- $$
Here is what I did:
$$ P_L \bar{ \psi } = \frac{ ( 1 - \gamma_5 ) }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0, $$
$$ = \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 - \frac{ 1 }{2} \gamma_5 \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 $$
$$ = \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 - \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_5 \gamma_0 $$
$$ = \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 + \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 \gamma_5 $$
$$ = \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 \frac{ ( 1 + \gamma_5 ) }{2} $$
$$ = \bar { \psi } P_R. $$
$$ --- $$
Where
$$ \psi =
\left(
\begin{smallmatrix}
\psi_1 \\
\psi_2 \\
\psi_3 \\
\psi_4
\end{smallmatrix}
\right) $$

And
$$ P_L = \frac{ ( 1 - \gamma_5 ) }{2} \qquad P_R = \frac{ ( 1 + \gamma_5 ) }{2} $$

And
$$ \bar{ \psi } = \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 $$

And
$$ \gamma_0 \gamma_5 + \gamma_5 \gamma_0 = 0 $$

$$ \mbox{ Note: } \gamma_0 \mbox{ and } \gamma_5 \mbox{ are Dirac's matrices. }$$

$$ --- $$

Is there anything wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very wrong. ##\bar\psi## is a row vector; it must be to the left of all matrices. So ##P_L\bar\psi## is not a legal expression.

Hint: Calculate
$$\overline{P_L \psi}=(P_L \psi)^{\dagger} \gamma^0,$$
using the usual "Diracology" of ##\gamma## matrices. I guess it's a homework problem and should be moved to the homework section. That's why I only give this hint and not a full solution!

Thank you for the reply!
It isn't homework, just need to calculate that because I want to understand the following:
$$ J_L^{ \mu + } = \bar{ \psi_L } \gamma^{ \mu } \psi_L \equiv V - A $$
Thanks for the hint, I'll try to solve it that way!

Is this the correct way?

$$ \overline{P_L \psi } = \left[ \frac{ ( 1 - \gamma_5 ) }{2} \psi \right]^{ \dagger } \gamma_0, $$

We have

$$ ( \gamma_5 )^{ \dagger } = \gamma_5 $$

So:

$$ = \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 - \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_5 \gamma_0 \\
= \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 + \frac{ 1 }{2} \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 \gamma_5 \\
= \psi^{ \dagger } \gamma_0 \frac{ ( 1 + \gamma_5 ) }{2} \\
= \bar { \psi } P_R. $$

Likes vanhees71
Yes, that's correct!

Likes StephvsEinst
Avodyne said:
Yes, that's correct!

Thank you! :)

1. What is the difference between classical and relativistic quantum physics?

In classical physics, objects are described as having definite positions and velocities, and their behavior can be predicted with absolute certainty. In relativistic quantum physics, however, objects are described as having wave-like properties, and their behavior is described by probabilities rather than definite values.

2. How does the theory of relativity apply to quantum mechanics?

The theory of relativity, specifically Einstein's special and general theories of relativity, provide a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields. This is important in quantum mechanics because particles at the subatomic level can reach these extreme velocities and be subject to intense gravitational forces.

3. What is the role of energy in relativistic quantum physics?

In relativistic quantum physics, energy is a fundamental quantity that is conserved and can change forms. The famous equation E=mc^2, derived from Einstein's theory of relativity, shows the relationship between mass and energy. In quantum mechanics, energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete amounts.

4. What are some real-world applications of relativistic quantum physics?

Relativistic quantum physics has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear power. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and in the study of astrophysics and cosmology.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to relativistic quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle, a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This principle also applies in relativistic quantum physics, where the concept of wave-particle duality is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds.