Living on Titan: A New World for Humans?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lifeonmercury
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Titan
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lifeonmercury
Messages
137
Reaction score
26
I've read a few articles claiming that Titan will be the most reasonable place for humans to move once the Earth is burned to a crisp by our red giant sun in a few billion years. Even if the temperature does in fact become habitable on Titan, how great could it be living on a moon of some giant planet? I imagine there would be inconvenient solar eclipses happening all the time with Saturn hogging up the entire sky, which in turn would severely disrupt the daily lives of the people living there.
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I imagine that the first generations of such settlers would be living most of the time in artificial habitats anyway.
Getting a base established there is one thing; terraforming Titan to have an Earth like atmosphere and other conditions a much bigger task.
If that was eventually accomplished I guess the descendants of original settlers would in time adapt to the strange daylight patterns